There are different ways of solving this problem. It depends upon how you want your program or how does your professor wants it to be done. The starting point could be visualizing how your program might work. I would assume it would be something like, the program will ask the user to enter the isbn number and the program will show the the name of the book and its price on amazon.com to the user. This would be simplest way of doing it.
The first thing should obviously be recording all the data in excel, the name of the book, its isbn and the price in different columns.
Then next comes writing the main program. You should learn file input stream and file output stream in java for this.
The simplest algorithms could be.
1. The program ask user to enter isbn number.
2. The program then opens the excel file through fileinputstream
3. It checks the file with isbn number
4. If the number is found, then it sends the book name and its price back to the program
5. the program displays the info on the screen.
Hope this would help you