Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: help

Thanks

Default help

Hello,

Right now im working on distributed password cracking software. It
    is my assigmant.
    The general idea is that I have a password file with usernames + encrypted passwords. The encryption algorithm has no known decryption algorithm.
    I also have a large dictionary (list of words) that users might have used as passwords. I encrypt all the words in the dictionary and compare the encrypted word to the encrypted passwords from the password files.
    In my case i need to creat the boss who holds the dictionary and workers who gets a part of the dictionary and they are running in the separated threads.

Give me some good advices how to do that.
    I have also attaches codes from the main class because in this case they are the moust usefull

Thanks

Default Re: help

import dk.rhs.util.StringUtilities;
    import java.io.BufferedReader;
    import java.io.FileReader;
    import java.io.IOException;
    import java.security.MessageDigest;
    import java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException;
    import java.util.ArrayList;
    import java.util.Arrays;
    import java.util.List;
    import java.util.logging.Level;
    import java.util.logging.Logger;

public class CrackerCentralized {

private static MessageDigest messageDigest;
        private static final Logger LOGGER = Logger.getLogger("passwordCracker");

static {
            try {
                messageDigest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA");
            } catch (NoSuchAlgorithmException ex) {
                LOGGER.log(Level.SEVERE, ex.getMessage());
                throw new RuntimeException(ex);
            }
        }

[B] /**
         * Starts the password cracking program.
         * Writes the time used for cracking.
         * @param args the command line arguments, not used
         */[/B]
        public static void main(final String[] args) throws IOException {
            final long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

final List<UserInfo> userInfos = PasswordFileHandler.readPasswordFile("passwords.txt");
            final List<UserInfoClearText> result = new ArrayList<UserInfoClearText>();
            FileReader fileReader = null;
            try {
                fileReader = new FileReader("webster-dictionary.txt");
                final BufferedReader dictionary = new BufferedReader(fileReader);
                while (true) {
                    final String dictionaryEntry = dictionary.readLine();
                    if (dictionaryEntry == null) {
                        break;
                    }
                    final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResult = checkWordWithVariations(dictionaryEntry, userInfos);
                    result.addAll(partialResult);
                }
            } finally {
                if (fileReader != null) {
                    fileReader.close();
                }
            }
            final long endTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
            final long usedTime = endTime - startTime;
            System.out.println(result);
            System.out.println("Used time: " + usedTime / 1000 + " seconds = " + usedTime / 60000.0 + " minutes");
        }

[B]  /**
         * Checks a single word from a dictionary, against a list of encrypted passwords.
         * Tries different variations on the dictionary entry, like all uppercase, adding digits to the end of the entry, etc.
         * @param dictionaryEntry a single word from a dictionary, i.e. a possible password
         * @param userInfos a list of user information records: username + encrypted password
         */[/B]
        static  List<UserInfoClearText>  checkWordWithVariations(final String dictionaryEntry, final List<UserInfo> userInfos) {
            final List<UserInfoClearText> result = new ArrayList<UserInfoClearText>();

final String possiblePassword = dictionaryEntry;
            final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResult = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePassword);
            result.addAll(partialResult);

final String possiblePasswordUpperCase = dictionaryEntry.toUpperCase();
            final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultUpperCase = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordUpperCase);
            result.addAll(partialResultUpperCase);

final String possiblePasswordCapitalized = StringUtilities.capitalize(dictionaryEntry);
            final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultCapitalized  = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordCapitalized);
            result.addAll(partialResultCapitalized);

final String possiblePasswordReverse = new StringBuilder(dictionaryEntry).reverse().toString();
             final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultReverse = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordReverse);
             result.addAll(partialResultReverse);

for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
                final String possiblePasswordEndDigit = dictionaryEntry + i;
                final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultEndDigit= checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordEndDigit);
                result.addAll(partialResultEndDigit);
            }

for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
                final String possiblePasswordStartDigit = i + dictionaryEntry;
                final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultStartDigit = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordStartDigit);
                result.addAll(partialResultStartDigit);
            }

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
                for (int j = 0; j < 100; j++) {
                    final String possiblePasswordStartEndDigit = i + dictionaryEntry + j;
                    final List<UserInfoClearText> partialResultStartEndDigit = checkSingleWord(userInfos, possiblePasswordStartEndDigit);
                    result.addAll(partialResultStartEndDigit);
                }
            }

return result;
        }

[B]  /**
         * Check a single  word (may include a single variation)from the dictionary against a list of encrypted passwords
         * @param userInfos a list of user information records: username + encrypted password
         * @param possiblePassword a single dictionary entry (may include a single variation)
         * @return the user information record, if the dictionary entry matches the users password, or {@code  null} if not.
         */[/B]
        static List<UserInfoClearText> checkSingleWord(final List<UserInfo> userInfos, final String possiblePassword) {
            final byte[] digest = messageDigest.digest(possiblePassword.getBytes());
            final List<UserInfoClearText> results = new ArrayList<UserInfoClearText>();
            for (UserInfo userInfo : userInfos) {
                if (Arrays.equals(userInfo.getEntryptedPassword(), digest)) {
                    results.add(new UserInfoClearText(userInfo.getUsername(), possiblePassword));
                }
            }
            return results;
        }
    }