Welcome to the Java Programming Forums


The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!


The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.


>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING


Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 3D rendering?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default 3D rendering?

    Hey guys!

    I want to create a 3D game in java , I've done a 2D game already , though the only problem is I don't know how to create 3d stuff..
    I mean , yeah sure I understand that if you have an object in the game (for example the player) it has a x y and z coordinate but how can I "draw" this on a screen I mean .. in 3D you have different angles and yea it's quite complicated , isn't it?

    Soo I've heard of OpenGL but .. what is OpenGL? Can you create 3D things with opengl , yea sure you can but is it easier?

    Sorry for the terrible english , It's my best I guess..

    thanks!


  2. #2
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,988
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 557 Times in 478 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    For more info on opengl, I suggest you start here.

    I also suggest you look into the game development libraries available to you, which wrap opengl in an easier-to-user Java interface. Check out LWJGL, libGDX, or JMonkeyEngine. LWJGL is an opengl wrapper, and both libGDX and JMonkeyEngine use LWJGL to do more advanced things, such as 3d rendering.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    For more info on opengl, I suggest you start here.

    I also suggest you look into the game development libraries available to you, which wrap opengl in an easier-to-user Java interface. Check out LWJGL, libGDX, or JMonkeyEngine. LWJGL is an opengl wrapper, and both libGDX and JMonkeyEngine use LWJGL to do more advanced things, such as 3d rendering.
    well currently I'm using LWJGL .. thanks for the info it will help me out I think

  4. #4
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,988
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 557 Times in 478 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    On a personal note I highly recommend libGDX. I've never used JMonkeyEngine, but I've seen some pretty amazing things done in it. You'll have to try both to see which one you like better.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    On a personal note I highly recommend libGDX. I've never used JMonkeyEngine, but I've seen some pretty amazing things done in it. You'll have to try both to see which one you like better.
    Sorry for the late response but I've looked up libGDX and there's one thing which I don't really understand..
    So with libGDX you write one code , and it works on android , desktop and all that stuff? I mean is it possible to write only for desktop , that's my main goal..

  6. #6
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,988
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 557 Times in 478 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaskoepoes112 View Post
    Sorry for the late response but I've looked up libGDX and there's one thing which I don't really understand..
    So with libGDX you write one code , and it works on android , desktop and all that stuff? I mean is it possible to write only for desktop , that's my main goal..
    Yeah, the idea is that you can develop and test your program on desktop and then deploy it to Android very easily. You can ignore all the Android stuff and just deploy it to desktop if you want though.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    Yeah, the idea is that you can develop and test your program on desktop and then deploy it to Android very easily. You can ignore all the Android stuff and just deploy it to desktop if you want though.
    Thank you! only one problem , I think you wouldn't know the solution but when I set up my workspace I got a bunch of errors in my android project , like some imports can't be resolved and stuff , perhaps you happen to know that that would be great!

  8. #8
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,988
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 557 Times in 478 Posts

    Default Re: 3D rendering?

    I assume you need to have the Android stuff (AVD, eclipse plugin, library files) for the Android portion to work. I would start here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

Similar Threads

  1. Rendering VS Selection in JTrees
    By Cyclops in forum AWT / Java Swing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
  2. [SOLVED] JSF? not rendering.
    By newbie in forum Web Frameworks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
  3. Problems with rendering a jprogressbar
    By albertof in forum What's Wrong With My Code?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 10th, 2010, 03:47 AM
  4. JMonkeyEngine 3 not rendering.
    By scribbleno1 in forum What's Wrong With My Code?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM
  5. Problem in JSP rendering
    By srkumarj2ee@gmail.com in forum JavaServer Pages: JSP & JSTL
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM