Welcome to the Java Programming Forums


The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!


The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.


>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING


Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: How should i write and compile java with Ubuntu?

  1. #1

    Default How should i write and compile java with Ubuntu?

    Let me introduce myself before I start. I'm a 2nd year CS major and have programming in C++, C, some assembly language, and a bit of VHDL. I also know HTML, CSS, and a bit of PHP. I was interested in learning Java so here I am!

    I currently have Ubuntu 8.04. What do I need to start writing/compiling in Java?

    I've use Eclipse but didn't like it too much. I've grown to use CodeBlocks but doesn't have a Java version as of yet. I've heard there is some patch, but I don't know if there is one for Ubuntu.

    I looked around and noticed Eclipse was always recommended? Should I stick to it? I wouldn't mind. Just wondering what everyone else uses.
    Talk Binary Programming, Programming Resources, and more


  2. #2
    mmm.. coffee JavaPF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,336
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 287 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Hey Talk_Binary

    I personally have no experience with Ubuntu. I have used a few IDEs but I always go back to Eclipse. I think its the best!! It all depends what you plan to code though. I code a lot of console based applications and this is perfect in Eclipse but if you want a GUI app i'd go for NetBeans.
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

    Looking for a Java job? Visit - Java Programming Careers

  3. #3

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    I believe Eclipse is really good. Currently saw a friend of mine using it awhile back. I'll probably get to it then!

    Thanks.
    Talk Binary Programming, Programming Resources, and more

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    I think Eclipse have a good java developer guide.

  5. #5
    mmm.. coffee JavaPF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,336
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 287 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Quote Originally Posted by prijikn View Post
    I think Eclipse have a good java developer guide.
    I have not seen the Eclipse Java developer guide, any ideas where to find it?
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

    Looking for a Java job? Visit - Java Programming Careers

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Hi
    You can find some useful documentation here:
    Eclipse documentation

    Also, you don't you try with NetBeans??

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Yeah Net Beans is also very good IDE....

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    I also have just started learning java.
    right now i only know the basics: variabes, classes, and such..
    i want to do some practice exercise so i can familiarize myself with the usage of the different codes.
    i was hoping mybe you guys can share exercises or assignments you had when you were starting to learn java?
    i would also appreciate if you know and could share websites with exercises for beginners.
    thank you ^^

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    london
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    My suggestion is used EditPlus or notepad++
    why, because in this type of editors every predefined class or interfaces or import packages written by u, so you have some knowledge for which class is belongs to which package and which function in which class.
    by using eclipse or netbeans some ide's are write some code for user. these are user friendly. choose ur choice
    editors or IDE's
    paruchuri

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    london
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    My suggestion is used EditPlus or notepad++
    why, because in this type of editors every predefined class or interfaces or import packages written by u, so you have some knowledge for which class is belongs to which package and which function in which class.
    by using eclipse or netbeans some ide's are write some code for user. these are user friendly. choose ur choice
    editors or IDE's
    paruchuri

  11. #11
    Junior Member ss13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Hi !! I would like to learn java . i know VB and RPG because i began my studies with these laguages and i like programming . What is the best step to begin ? Thank you

  12. #12
    mmm.. coffee JavaPF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,336
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 287 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Hello ss13,

    It's good to hear you want to learn Java!

    The best place to begin is exactly where I first started learning Java.. The Sun Java Tutorials:

    The Java™ Tutorials

    Also, check out our Tips & Tutorials forum. There are some good Java examples there that will help you learn the language:

    Java Tips & Tutorials - Java Programming Forums

    Post here in the forums whenever you need help and ill do my best to assist you!
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

    Looking for a Java job? Visit - Java Programming Careers

  13. #13
    Junior Member ss13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaPF View Post
    Hello ss13,

    It's good to hear you want to learn Java!

    The best place to begin is exactly where I first started learning Java.. The Sun Java Tutorials:

    The Java™ Tutorials

    Also, check out our Tips & Tutorials forum. There are some good Java examples there that will help you learn the language:

    Java Tips & Tutorials - Java Programming Forums

    Post here in the forums whenever you need help and ill do my best to assist you!

    JavaPF I have been searching to the Internet for instance youtube and metacafe to find videos with java code and i found a lot !! where i can find other video tutorials except these two source ? Thank you !!

  14. #14
    Junior Member Ciwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Arrow Re: Java? Where to start.

    I agree with JavaPF about what he said regarding Eclipse and NetBeans.

    I am currently studying Java at University. The course I'm on aims to teach us how to build applications that have GUIs and would run on normal everyday computers, thus we use the NetBeans IDE.

    Plus ( I hope the Eclipse people don't get mad ) NetBeans looks better ! its buttons and everything looks neater (specially in the latest version > v.6.5).

    Ohh I nearly forgot ! (begginers would LOVE this) > The New version of NetBeans (v6.5) have the Java Documentation included in the IDE !

    So while you are typing code, if you wait like 2 seconds, a box appears telling you how that code is used, and what methods it has ...etc > just like the Java API on the Sun Website !! Isn't that brilliant ?

    @ SS13: These video tutorials are REALLY good, even though the guy uses eclipse, you can do them in NetBeans as well ! it doesn't make a difference !

    But the guy actually creates an application with you ! so you learn everything very nicely !

    Here is the link: Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners

    I downloaded all of these on to my own PC, so that whenever I needed to get back to them, I could do it quickly.

    Thanks.

    PS. I'm just beginning to learn Java myself, as Mr. JavaPF knows
    "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence" .... American Astrochemist Carl Sagan.

  15. #15
    Junior Member ss13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciwan View Post
    I agree with JavaPF about what he said regarding Eclipse and NetBeans.

    I am currently studying Java at University. The course I'm on aims to teach us how to build applications that have GUIs and would run on normal everyday computers, thus we use the NetBeans IDE.

    Plus ( I hope the Eclipse people don't get mad ) NetBeans looks better ! its buttons and everything looks neater (specially in the latest version > v.6.5).

    Ohh I nearly forgot ! (begginers would LOVE this) > The New version of NetBeans (v6.5) have the Java Documentation included in the IDE !

    So while you are typing code, if you wait like 2 seconds, a box appears telling you how that code is used, and what methods it has ...etc > just like the Java API on the Sun Website !! Isn't that brilliant ?

    @ SS13: These video tutorials are REALLY good, even though the guy uses eclipse, you can do them in NetBeans as well ! it doesn't make a difference !

    But the guy actually creates an application with you ! so you learn everything very nicely !

    Here is the link: Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners

    I downloaded all of these on to my own PC, so that whenever I needed to get back to them, I could do it quickly.

    Thanks.

    PS. I'm just beginning to learn Java myself, as Mr. JavaPF knows

    Ciwan , Thank you very much about your suggestions !!

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    If u want for advanced programming i'll suggest u Eclipse(I use Easy Eclips Exprert Java),and NetBeans more for GUI programming is same like Visual Studio 2009 if u have worked with it (drag and drop from Palette),also u can dowload JGRASP its simple but useful and conformable for begginners...enjoy

  17. #17
    Junior Member ss13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaGgy View Post
    If u want for advanced programming i'll suggest u Eclipse(I use Easy Eclips Exprert Java),and NetBeans more for GUI programming is same like Visual Studio 2009 if u have worked with it (drag and drop from Palette),also u can dowload JGRASP its simple but useful and conformable for begginners...enjoy
    Thank you very much !!

  18. #18
    Junior Member ss13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    What is your suggestions about java books ? Thank you !!

  19. #19
    mmm.. coffee JavaPF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,336
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 287 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    Hello ss13,

    I would suggest:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071591060...9YJQQ6023EZES&

    These books by Kathy Sierra are very good indeed.

    Don't forget there are also some free e-books here:

    Professional Certification - Java Programming Forums
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

    Looking for a Java job? Visit - Java Programming Careers

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Java? Where to start.

    i have started from "Programming Principles in Java" of D.Smith(http://santos.cis.ksu.edu/schmidt/ppj/home.html) it's easy to understand and u' will learn much ..good luck

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 7th, 2009, 05:31 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Java code to embedding xml tags at start and end of file
    By John in forum File I/O & Other I/O Streams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
  3. Best way to learn java for beginners
    By JavaPF in forum The Cafe
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 05:37 AM