Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: how to read a .class file

My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks

Default how to read a .class file

Well, I don't have the source for some app. I already decompiled the apk and decompiled the jar file. Now, my question is how do I edit the .class file? Is there any way to do that? Any help with links would be appreciated.
    Thank you guys

My Mood
    Cynical
    Thanks

Default Re: how to read a .class file

Quote Originally Posted by cowsquad View Post
    W... Now, my question is how do I edit the .class file? Is there any way to do that? ...
    You don't. You make edits to the .java file obtained from decompilation and then compile that into a new .class file.

My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    You don't. You make edits to the .java file obtained from decompilation and then compile that into a new .class file.
    So i probably am decompiling the wrong because I don't get any .java file. Do you mind sharing a decompiler. I am using dex2jar right now

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I agree with curmudgeon that you most likely don't want to do this. If you can get the source, edit that. If you can't, then there's probably a good reason for that and reverse-engineering/cracking the compiled .class files is not recommended.

My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by helloworld922 View Post
    I agree with curmudgeon that you most likely don't want to do this. If you can get the source, edit that. If you can't, then there's probably a good reason for that and reverse-engineering/cracking the compiled .class files is not recommended.
    Of course I can get the source for it, it is and android app. So I will do that. I was just wondering possibilities.

My Mood
    Daring
    Thanks

Of course I can get the source for it, it is and android app. So I will do that. I was just wondering possibilities.
    Usually that process involves breaking a law, so beware what you decompile. You probably didn't get any .java files because the source was not packed. Which makes a flag stand out on the "might be illegal" category, but does not necessarily mean it is. You can turn the .class into .java with a different program but all non-keywords are not going to be so easy to understand without really knowing how to see what is there. If you can get the original .java files like they said above, that is the best option as the .java files are likely to have good variable/method/etc names, comments, and possibly even javadoc. You can get to the same point (access to functional source code) both ways, but .java files are the easiest as far as what you have to do.

My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    Usually that process involves breaking a law, so beware what you decompile. You probably didn't get any .java files because the source was not packed. Which makes a flag stand out on the "might be illegal" category, but does not necessarily mean it is. You can turn the .class into .java with a different program but all non-keywords are not going to be so easy to understand without really knowing how to see what is there. If you can get the original .java files like they said above, that is the best option as the .java files are likely to have good variable/method/etc names, comments, and possibly even javadoc. You can get to the same point (access to functional source code) both ways, but .java files are the easiest as far as what you have to do.
    I am not trying to break the law :-) I was trying to understand how reverse engineering really work. I decompile an apk that I have the source for it, and there are some methods that don't look alike .thank all of you for your kind and helpful answers :-)

My Mood
    Daring
    Thanks

I am not trying to break the law :-)
    Of course not. I am not accusing you, just so it was said.

I was trying to understand how reverse engineering really work.
    Yes, for educational purposes. Learning is fun.

I decompile an apk that I have the source for it, and there are some methods that don't look alike .
    Did you get it figured out?

thank all of you for your kind and helpful answers :-)
    You are welcome.

My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    Of course not. I am not accusing you, just so it was said.

Yes, for educational purposes. Learning is fun.

Did you get it figured out?

You are welcome.
    I am trying to understand all this java thing, but having trouble understanding how to download source code from the web into my PC, and then editing that :-(

My Mood
    Daring
    Thanks

What source code do you have? Post a sample or describe what exactly you have. What format it is in etc.
    What do you mean by edit it? Post the code you have questions about editing.