Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Stuck on a few Statements/Questions on timing of Main Game Loop.

Thanks

Default Stuck on a few Statements/Questions on timing of Main Game Loop.

Could one of you please give me a bit of insight to each one of these 4 topics, I am just a little confused on what it is asking.

I have a good idea on what passive and active rendering are, and that the use of active rendering is more sutable for games programming.

I'm just not to sure about the rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The timing of the main game loop is an important component of any computer game, since it impacts on the frame rate and the real-time physics calculations needed to make the game run at a realistic (or at least playable) rate. You are required to read up on the programming issues that affect this timing, and write a report that covers the range
    of options available to a programmer. Your report should consider the following headings:

1. The distinction between active and passive rendering, and an explanation of the preferred mode for a game program.

2. The division of time between the physics (or game-model) update and graphics update stages, and an explanation and analysis of the relative importance of these in a game that involves real-time physics calculations.

3. Techniques for achieving accuracy in real-time physics, and an explanation of the trade-offs that may be necessary to do this.

4. Programming techniques that can be used to try to keep the frame-rate for graphics updates to some desired rate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you in advance!
    Sean.

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Default Re: Stuck on a few Statements/Questions on timing of Main Game Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    You are required to read up on the programming issues that affect this timing...
    That seems to be the bit you missed. Have you done the reading? What did it tell you? What didn't you understand about it? We aren't going to do your homework for you.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

Thanks

That is my main problem, I am finding it difficult to find places to read up on these topics.

I am not wanting you to do my homework, on the contray I am wanting to do this, however I have nothing to lead by and that is where I hope you guys will come in.

I have been able to find information on active and passive rendering and have read up on this to be able to make my own understanding of that topic, also topics such as Double Buffering, 80:20 rule for method optimizing.

Any information or links available to read will be greatly appreciated. I have books but unknown to me where this information is.

Thank you for responding.

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

I find it hard to picture your instructor telling you to read up on these topics, without telling you where to read. Especially because the last two aren't exactly trivial. I would take another look at the books- if you don't know where the information is, try the table of contents, or look at any reading that you've been assigned.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!