Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Completely New to Java

Thanks

Question Completely New to Java

I have some experience with C++ and a little C with Win32 but no Java (0, NONE, ZIP).

I've heard quite a lot about Java and I thought I'd give it a try but there's one BIG problem...

I cant even imagine how to use a Java compiler/interpreter or whatever is used to make .exe files...

I need all the help I can get to start programming in Java so please tell me what I need to do first

and the steps involved... recommendations, anything that will help me start Java programming...

Thanks

Default Re: Completely New to Java

Java runs off of a vm so what it compiles to its java byte code. This byte code is then read by a non-native program and turned into a file only read by java. AKA a .jar file. If you want to make exe files then java really isn't for you. You should do .NET then since .NET makes a special kind of exe that is managed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Java's syntax is based off of C/C++'s, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to pick up.

The best way to write Java is with an IDE (Eclipse and NetBeans are the two best ones, depending on what you intend to do), and you can export Java programs as .jar files. Basically, these are similar to .exe files except the are platform independent (.exe is a Windows thing, so won't work on macs or linux).

Personally, I like Eclipse over Netbeans because it runs much smoother and has many useful easy to use features, however NetBeans has a powerful GUI designer, which plain Eclipse doesn't have (there are plugins that allow you to design GUI's in Eclipse, though).

Here's the link for eclipse's website:
    Eclipse
    Pick any download of Eclipse that allows you to develop Java, and/or JavaEE.

You'll also need the Java JDK in addition to the JRE to run either IDE. Go for this one: Java Standard Edition. There are many different versions of Java (ME for mobiles, EE for server/business solutions), but SE should fit almost all general uses. Note: If you want to do JavaEE development, you'll need the JavaEE JDK

Here are some tutorials from Sun (the "developer" of Java):

Getting started
    Learning the Java Language
    Trail: Essential Classes

Also, no Java developer could do without the API docs:

Java API Docs
    Last edited by helloworld922; September 3rd, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Thanks

Don't worry about the switch it will be easy. I did it myself, although I still know C and C++. One thing you will notice is that Java IDEs have auto complete and inteligence that guess what you are after and show a list of options. Also Java is so well documented you can find everything easily. Where as C and C++ this can be a pain in the arse. lets be honest if developing using Win32, Microsofts information is pretty sucky!

Best of luck,
    Chris

Thanks

I'm in a similar position - some experience with C# and Flash, but new to Java.

I found this video useful for getting the JDK up and running.

(Same guy has also done a number of other vids which helped me get my head around basic syntax.)

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Freaky Chris; September 3rd, 2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Fix Hyperlink

Thanks

guys what should i download to get that API? jdk sourcecode? or jdk documentation? i just want to save those files
    just in case if i dont have internet connection i can still read that API...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

try this:API download

8. The Following User Says Thank You to helloworld922 For This Useful Post:

chronoz13 (September 6th, 2009)

Thanks

thanx... I'll try ur suggestions...