Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: An IDE in the Cloud

Thanks

Default An IDE in the Cloud

Hi guys,
    We have recently released the Beta version of the eXo Cloud IDE and would like to get feedback from the Java community. Its a free web-based IDE, with Groovy and JAX-RS support, therefore allowing you to deploy Rest Services directly from the IDE.

Do you see the usage for web-based IDEs? We currently don't see it as a way to replace desktop IDE, but more as the "last mile" for your application. An efficient way to create web applications such as OpenSocial gadgets.

The objective is also to allow direct deployment from the IDE to PaaS offerings such as AppEngine or Amazon Beanstalk.

You can check out the service at http://cloud-ide.com.

Curious to hear feedback.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An IDE in the Cloud

Hello markthespark, welcome to the forums.

This looks very interesting indeed. I will take a look as soon as possible and give some feedback.
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

Thanks

Welcome to JPF!
    Sounds great, I was looking for something like this a few months back. This would be great for coding while away form your PC, esp for students like me.

-Mel

Thanks

I'd like to test it with a guest account before I sign up. Would that be possible?

Thanks

You need to create an account. The registration process is quick and easy so I encourage you to try it out.

We've recently added support for Ruby, PHP and Java/JSP languages. We've also added Git commands and a new PaaS menu to directly deploy to PaaS providers. We currently support Heroku (Ruby), Red Hat OpenShift (Ruby, PHP) and CloudBees (Java). You can now develop an application and deploy it to a server without using your desktop.

Give it a try (http://cloud-ide.com) and let us know what you think! We're also curious about new features you would like to see included.

Forum old-timer
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Can you outline how it compares feature-wise with other online IDEs, such as ideone, Ceclipse, Compilr, ECCO, CodeRun, etc. ?