Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Unstructured Data Model

Thanks

Default Unstructured Data Model

I'd like to write an application whose data model needs to be flexible and unstructured (similar to, say, XML). The model itself can contain fields and the field values can also be an array of the same structure (forming a hierarchy). Ideally, I'd like to be able to have a dictionary of field identifiers which are coupled to their field types. In that sense, it would be similar to web services but targeted at intra-application (within the application) method calls.

That would be the main functionality requirement. Nice to haves would be a way to dump the structure to a String, create a structure from a formatted String, identify whether a structure contains a certain field type, etc. and be easy and natural to code to.

Does a library or programming API like that exist and is open and freely available?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unstructured Data Model

Not fully sure I understand those requirements, but since you mentioned XML perhaps something like JDOM would help. You can build tree-like data structures, and convert those to and from xml.