Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Java rescources

Thanks

Default Java rescources

I'm taking an introductory Java course this semester, but know very little about programming. The class "textbook" is sams teach yourself Java in 21 days. From reading reviews it seems a textbook to help fill in the details is in order, and maybe a resource to learn basic programming. I was thinking of getting Core Java Volume I to fill in details, but would Java: the Complete Reference be a better source? Your input on what book/resources are best for the situation is greatly appreciated.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks

Default Re: Java rescources

Hi,
    it's often a matter of personal preferences. There are hundreds of online tutorials and as many books about Java.
    I think Head first Java by Bates and Sierra is a great book for beginners. Although it is older, it still covers the basics. Have a look at the ratings at amazon to get an idea which books are good.
    The Oracle online tutorials also cover quite a lot of topics: The Really Big Index
    Regards,
    Phil

My Mood
    Angelic
    Thanks

Default Re: Java rescources

Personally, I think the teach yourself series are rushed out when written as each
    chapter skips over important concepts of what it is teaching, and because it is a quick
    how-to book - most of the core features of the language covered are left out.

I like Deitel's "how to program" series - I learnt C from them alongside college back in the
    early 2000s and found the books are very detailed with lots of discussion and sample
    programs. Plus, each chapter has lots of review questions and loads of exercises so you
    can actually put what you learnt into practice.

Head First, as mentioned by Phil. is also a good book series. It is written in a "child like"
    way, with pencil notes and scribbles over the pages, but does have wealth of information.
    They do tend to stick with the GUI/AWT topics over the core language basics however.

Wishes Ada xx
    If to Err is human - then programmers are most human of us all.
    "The Analytical Engine offers a new, a vast, and a powerful language . . .
    for the purposes of mankind
    ."
    Augusta Ada Byron, Lady Lovelace (1851)