Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: How do I prevent buttons from flowing over when the window is dragged.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thanks

Question How do I prevent buttons from flowing over when the window is dragged.

I'm using a BorderLayout, with 26 buttons to make up the alphabet from a keyboard. All the spacing looks great, but when you drag the screen out, everything gets jumbled. I would prefer to have everything stretch out, and keep the same positioning, or everything move towards the center still keeping the keyboard style positioning of the buttons but increasing the size of the window. How should I approach this? Will a BorderLayout work for what I want, or should I try something else?

Currently to keep the buttons spaced apart I am keeping there preferred size to 25, and using horizontal and vertical struts to get the buttons positioned like I want.

This is how it is if I keep it the width and height 400, 400.
    ex1.jpg

This is what happens when its stretched or shrunk.
    ex2.jpg

This is an example of one of the ways I would prefer it
    ex4.jpg

This is would also be acceptable.
    ex3.jpg

I apologize if my question is confusing, and would be glad to clarify.
    Last edited by Spencer4908; July 24th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: How do I prevent buttons from flowing over when the window is dragged.

How do you use a border layout for that? That does not make any sense to me whatsoever.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thanks

Default Re: How do I prevent buttons from flowing over when the window is dragged.

I used struts, and preferred sizes to force it to do that. However I decided to use the BoxLayout, because it does what I need it to do, I was able to fix the problem I was having. What I did to solve it was, I changed the frame to a BoxLayout Y-Axis, and added 3 panels that use the BoxLayout X-Axis, I then changed the size of the panels to push the buttons closer together, to make it look nicer. That seemed to do the trick, if I drag it out, it has the result of the bottom image of my original post.

Anyway thanks for attempting to help.