Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: When to switch to Java 8?

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Default When to switch to Java 8?

Has anyone switched to Java 8 yet? Any issues or steps needed to accomplish what is normally a routine change?

I noticed that Eclipse Kepler requires a patch to provide Java 8 features as described here with the patch's installation described on pages linked from there. I've downloaded Java 8, built a new folder for it, but haven't modified my environment variables to point to it as the new JAVA_HOME, etc. Not sure why I'm hesitating, but it seems I should wait for it to get beyond Java SE 8uZero to get some of the bugs worked out.

If you've already done it, reassure me that there's life after switching and that it's a good life.

If you're waiting, why?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

Default Re: When to switch to Java 8?

I'm still on XP and I get this when I run the install exe:
    The procedure entry point RegDeleteKeyExA could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll
    It may take a while to resolve this.
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Okay, that's not helping assure me, but I don't want you to lie to me. Thanks for letting us know.

I forgot to mention that I installed the Kepler patch without a problem, and I'm still successfully using Java 7 with the patch installed. OS is Fedora 19.

Forum VIP
    Thanks

I'm going to wait a bit. Three reasons:
    1. I plan to wait for a few patches to increase stability.
    2. I plan to wait for improvements to 3rd party tools to work with the most updated version properly
    3. There is always a lag in the user community adoption of new versions of anything, and I don't see the benefit to trying to get ahead of it. It's the same reason I don't develop Android with the latest platform, but rather a few platforms behind. Everyone who has updated are already served with backwards compatibility. If I update, everyone who hasn't may have trouble running my software. I plan on updating once I hear a sizable amount of users have updated. Until then, I would just be alienating the lagging portion of the user base, and no one likes software they can't run.
    NOTE TO NEW PEOPLE LOOKING FOR HELP ON FORUM:

When asking for help, please follow these guidelines to receive better and more prompt help:
    1. Put your code in Java Tags. To do this, put [highlight=java] before your code and [/highlight] after your code.
    2. Give full details of errors and provide us with as much information about the situation as possible.
    3. Give us an example of what the output should look like when done correctly.

Join the Airline Management Simulation Game to manage your own airline against other users in a virtual recreation of the United States Airline Industry. For more details, visit: http://airlinegame.orgfree.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

Got a lot of it to work using this as a guide:
    java - installing JDK8 on Windows XP - advapi32.dll error
    Will continue testing later.
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you're waiting, why?
    I usually put off upgrading to new versions for quite a while. This is both because of initial stability/security concerns, but mainly because I hesitate deploying software which requires clients to upgrade to the latest version (which some are hesitant to do because of the former). That being said, 8 has some interesting features I want to play around with (but perhaps not in production just yet).

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

All good points. Thanks for the input. Since nothing I do (yet) will impact anyone else, I think I'll take the plunge on my main workstation this weekend. It'll be done in a way that will allow me to easily switch back to 7, so not a big deal, really.

I'll let you know how it goes.