Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: How much would this cost? How hard to learn myself? Basic App Send Camera through TCP

Thanks

Default How much would this cost? How hard to learn myself? Basic App Send Camera through TCP

Hi there,

I have a background in hobby programming experience in VB6 and C++, but none in Java. I am looking at making an Android App as part of software package that I am developing, but trying to determine if it's worth me trying to learn Java and put it together myself. Or the cost of having someone build this piece for me.

The main piece of the application I am writing in C++ for a Windows PC and will account for 99% of the complete application package. I only intend on it being a working prototype which I could then try licence and source funds to develop with a team. This is something I have been doing in my own time as a hobby.

The 2nd part (the Android App) that I would like to develop would simply require someone input a server-ip/port/username/password and click connect. It would then start a TCP connect (over Wifi) and the application would simply be the camera. Every time you take a photo it would save image in an uncompressed format, then send it over the TCP connection in the form of a packet(s). It would not need to display anything or really do anything else, just send images to the main application to process.

I know from my experience in C++ it would be relatively simple to slap something together using all the available libraries and public source code around. How much would something like this cost to make as an Android App? It does not require any polishing or touch ups, not too fazed about minor bugs as long as it works most of the time. I have attached a picture of what I would roughly expect of the App. The TCP protocol and packets I could design and come up with myself, I have yet to do that. I could write pseudocode of the whole TCP connection and everything down to fine details, so it would just be a matter of someone familiar with Java coding to put it together.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Default Re: How much would this cost? How hard to learn myself? Basic App Send Camera through TCP

Moved to Paid Projects.