Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Java Security Issue(s)

Thanks

Default Java Security Issue(s)

Since updating Java a little while back (I am now using 1.7.0_45; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 24.45-b08) I have encountered two problems trying to run Java programs. These are:

Problem 1. When building code using NetBeans 7.4 I get these errors:

Warning: Setting Codebase manifest attribute to '*' due to current JNLP Codebase. Set manifest.custom.codebase property to override the non-secure value '*'.

Warning: Unsigned and self-signed WebStart applications and Applets are deprecated from JDK7u21 onwards due to security reasons.To ensure future correct functionality please sign WebStart applications and Applets using trusted certificate.

Problem 2. I have played online chess for years at one particular site. Since the Java update I can not run the applet. I receive this error (paraphrased here): "application blocked because, even though it is on the Exception list, application to resources across multiple domains".

Am I going to have to purchase a certificate to fix these problems, or is there a workaround? By the way, I'm much more concerned about problem 1 than problem 2.

Thanks.

Forum VIP
    Thanks

Default Re: Java Security Issue(s)

Problem #1 means you just need to set the codebase attribute in the manifest and JNLP page. That's not bad. The codebase just should be the website domain name.

Problem #2 is where it gets bad. The Java 7 Version 51 update a week ago has made it so unsigned and self-signed applets refuse to start. One solution is purchasing a certificate. But another solution is to instruct your user to add your website to their exception list. The error message about the application to resources across multiple domains is probably related to you not having Problem #1 resolved.
    NOTE TO NEW PEOPLE LOOKING FOR HELP ON FORUM:

When asking for help, please follow these guidelines to receive better and more prompt help:
    1. Put your code in Java Tags. To do this, put [highlight=java] before your code and [/highlight] after your code.
    2. Give full details of errors and provide us with as much information about the situation as possible.
    3. Give us an example of what the output should look like when done correctly.

Join the Airline Management Simulation Game to manage your own airline against other users in a virtual recreation of the United States Airline Industry. For more details, visit: http://airlinegame.orgfree.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

For problem#2 I assume that the website was created by someone else. Can you contact the author about the problem?
    A project I thought of for those problems is a stripped down browser written in java that would read the html page, parse out the <APPLET tag, read the jar file and execute the applet code without any security problems.

I have a website that has an applet that is still working for me. It gives warnings, but allows the applet to execute.
    Way Points
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.

Thanks

Thanks Norm, but when I clicked on the "Activate Java Platform" pop up I get this error message (the same one I see with Chess.com) - "Your security settings have blocked an untrusted application from running". This baffles me because my browser security setting is medium, where the browser is supposed to ask me if I want to run the app, and then run it when I say yes. I don't know if it will help, but here are the error details:

Java Plug-in 10.51.2.13
    Using JRE version 1.7.0_51-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Users\robert barnes
    ----------------------------------------------------
    c: clear console window
    f: finalize objects on finalization queue
    g: garbage collect
    h: display this help message
    l: dump classloader list
    m: print memory usage
    o: trigger logging
    q: hide console
    r: reload policy configuration
    s: dump system and deployment properties
    t: dump thread list
    v: dump thread stack
    x: clear classloader cache
    0-5: set trace level to <n>

Forum VIP
    Thanks

Is the website in your Exception Site List? If not, that would be the reason. It might not be your browser security settings blocking it, but your java security settings.
    NOTE TO NEW PEOPLE LOOKING FOR HELP ON FORUM:

When asking for help, please follow these guidelines to receive better and more prompt help:
    1. Put your code in Java Tags. To do this, put [highlight=java] before your code and [/highlight] after your code.
    2. Give full details of errors and provide us with as much information about the situation as possible.
    3. Give us an example of what the output should look like when done correctly.

Join the Airline Management Simulation Game to manage your own airline against other users in a virtual recreation of the United States Airline Industry. For more details, visit: http://airlinegame.orgfree.com/

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Corner View Post
    Thanks Norm, but when I clicked on the "Activate Java Platform" pop up I get this error message (the same one I see with Chess.com) - "Your security settings have blocked an untrusted application from running". This baffles me because my browser security setting is medium, where the browser is supposed to ask me if I want to run the app, and then run it when I say yes. I don't know if it will help, but here are the error details:

Java Plug-in 10.51.2.13
    Using JRE version 1.7.0_51-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Users\robert barnes
    c: clear console window
    f: finalize objects on finalization queue
    g: garbage collect
    h: display this help message
    l: dump classloader list
    m: print memory usage
    o: trigger logging
    q: hide console
    r: reload policy configuration
    s: dump system and deployment properties
    t: dump thread list
    v: dump thread stack
    x: clear classloader cache
    0-5: set trace level to <n>
    This isn't an error, it's just the default text that pops up in the Java console.

I wrote a tutorial on changing your security settings here: Deployment - Tutorials - Static Void Games
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!