Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Help with creating a java sonar amplet, microphone and speaker

Thanks

Default Help with creating a java sonar amplet, microphone and speaker

I am very new to everything that I am doing. I can now do web and css but not good at all with learning other things. I have in the past few days created a grid I think I will need for display of results and got a sonar reading display that I like that I have put on web
    shiftaction.com/monkey
    The grid is not actually on the page, but I am thinking it can be used towards creating an app that will read 10x10px grids grids (in my hopes giving 1024 of those grids/readings per image). And pick up basically 1024 microphone readings per that image, to be displayed in the sonar example above.

As I stated I am very beginner and not expecting to find someone to just do this, but help in the right direction would be appreciated. I have searched google for a week with different terms just learning the different equations and all the information that may be needed in this, but I am just wanting to do simple type frequency readings (low latency) and so I do not need so many results. As a matter of fact, I think I need to omit all the other billion results I am not trying to test for.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of a start? I have got a very good idea, already roughed down 3 times but it is very private to me because it is a very personalized thing that I have been working towards for a very long time and have gotten it now into an idea for a phone app, or at least, I need to be able to generate phone apps for updates and stuff. But that I know is way out of my league unless someone knows any tutorials online that could help me accomplish this. Thank you for reading !

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Default Re: Help with creating a java sonar amplet, microphone and speaker

Look into analog to digital conversions, analog signal sampling, etc. I'm not sure what you've done or already learned in this area, so it's hard to point you more specifically. You talk about "billions" of results, but I'm not sure if those are theoretical of if you actually have something that gives results. If you have results, describe your setup, hardware and software, and show some sample data.

If you come back, describe what you've already done, post any code you're using, describe how it does/doesn't meet your needs. Focus on one thing at a time and ask specific questions. Post code in code tags. Read the Announcements topic to learn how to do that along with other useful tips/hints for newcomers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
    Look into analog to digital conversions, analog signal sampling, etc. I'm not sure what you've done or already learned in this area, so it's hard to point you more specifically. You talk about "billions" of results, but I'm not sure if those are theoretical of if you actually have something that gives results. If you have results, describe your setup, hardware and software, and show some sample data.

If you come back, describe what you've already done, post any code you're using, describe how it does/doesn't meet your needs. Focus on one thing at a time and ask specific questions. Post code in code tags. Read the Announcements topic to learn how to do that along with other useful tips/hints for newcomers.

I haven't learned anything basically. I do not even know how to start the program up. I have just been doing things like finding a sonar reading image I like, figuring if I can place a background into it. All this stuff I am sure I can do with java, but no idea where to start at other than reading topics. But I do not understand them really.

Basically the idea is a sonar to take a picture 321x321px if possible, and take 1024 images of that picture with the microphone. Looking for a noise or frequency. And the display would come out on the grid-like readout so that it can be thrown in the sonar grid with an ID name hopefully.

I know it could be done because I see people doing stuff like it. But the idea is look for one noise, and ignore all the rest (probably even decimals, but i want it to be manual check boxes eventually for all manual omitted results), 1024 times per picture it would either post an ID name to show a dot on radar or not...Does it make since now?

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Search 'java sound tutorial' and see if any of the resulting topics interest you. I don't think they will apply directly to what you hope to do, but I think a better understanding of Java's sound capabilities and what you could do with them will be helpful to your project concept development.

Thanks

thanks!