Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Java 2 & Java 6 Books - What's the difference?

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thanks

Default Java 2 & Java 6 Books - What's the difference?

Hey guys, so i'm going to buy the Sams Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days as i believe Sams is the best and i noticed there are a couple of different books like Java 2 and Java 6 and i just really wanted to know what the big difference is and also if i learn from the Java 2 book would all the syntax be the same as in the Java 6 book? I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong one and for it to be a wast of money.

I know this may seem like a simple question, but i am seriously i am so confused coming from C++. Thanks guys!

1514182790.jpg s4028908.jpg

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Default Re: Java 2 & Java 6 Books - What's the difference?

If there was a Java 6 book, why would you buy a Java 2 book? From what you know about software and programming, is the older version ever preferred?

The current version is Java 7, Java 8 isn't that far away. The Java 2 book is sorely out of date.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GregBrannon For This Useful Post:

Hawwi (December 15th, 2013)

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thanks

Yeah, i understand that you would always get the later version, but i would also like to know the differences between the two as i am going into a Computer Science course, and i thought it would be an idea to understand it all really, just to make it easier for me.

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Knowing the differences between the two books won't help you understand Java or computer science in general except to know that it's a subject that's always evolving. I'll bet you knew that already. Were there syntax changes? Not really. Some classes became generic, new features, etc. Standard stuff. You may find this language history helpful.

I won't argue with you about which book is better, but have you ever looked at Deitel's books? They're expensive, but they cover each subject thoroughly, more thoroughly than you're likely to find in a "21 Day" book. Others swear by Head First Java. Whichever you buy, buy the latest possible and don't look back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GregBrannon For This Useful Post:

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thanks

No, i haven't looked at the Deitel's books yet, i'll take a look at them, thank you. Also just a question, do you think that getting the 21 day book, reading/completing it and doing a semester of Java would be enough to to learn the language fully or enough to start building complex programs or even start on game development as that is my ultimate goal?

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

You'll get out of the 21-Day book and a semester of Java what you put into them, what you CAN put into them. What you'll be able to do after that depends completely on you and the effort you put into your studies.

Most first semester programming courses I've seen barely touch on graphical programming. The 21 Day book covers most topics needed for more complex game/graphical programming, but I don't know if the depth is sufficient, and again, the benefit you get from the book depends on your effort.

BUT, the most important thing is to get started. Nothing you learn starting out will be wasted, and the material or guides you're using don't matter as long as you find them interesting and motivating, you understand the material when you're done, and you get lots of programming experience. Don't just watch or read HOW to do, get in and DO it. Your time spent programming, writing/compiling/fixing/breaking/fixing again, should be more than double the time spent watching videos or reading books.

Get started, and good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GregBrannon For This Useful Post:

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thanks

Thank you very much for all your help