Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Objects

Thanks

Default Objects

Hypothetically speaking if i had multiple objects all being drinks e.g. coke, fanta and sprite. I then wanted a new object that is a drink, but is a combination of coke, fanta and sprite ( in a new class ). How could i do this ? would this be possible ?

Thanks

Default Re: Objects

Thanks a lot. Do you mind if i send you a pm with my current code, because the structure is extremely distinctive; and it's quite difficult trying to follow this with my structure. Since it's a project, i'm unable to post my code online: ( . If not, then thanks anyway, much appreciated, i'll just try get it working utilizing your advice.

Forum VIP
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Edit
    I messed up and deleted my message.. Here is what I wrote one post up.

Absolutely, this kind of thing is fundamental Object Orientated programming. Polymorphism allows you to define something that represents many types. The basic concept is to define an interface, which we will call 'IDrink'. Then create concrete implementations 'Coke' and 'Sprite'.

public interface IDrink {
        public void drink();
    }

public class Sprite implements IDrink {
        public void drink() {
            System.out.println("The thirst quencher.");
        }
    }

This kind of approach is very flexible because it allows you to define the properties (nouns) and methods (verbs, doing words) of a entire category of objects. Additionally it allows you to treat all of these objects in the same manner. We could easily create a 'VendingMachine' class with an array of 'IDrinks' that dispenses drinks to a 'ThirstyConsumer' who will no doubt enjoy the beverage.

Adding or changing drinks has been separated from the users by a contract so it's exceptionally easy to add or modify drinks.

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Are you talking about a drink that is a mix of multiple other drinks? In that case you could have some kind of data structure that holds the composite drinks in a new class that extends Drink.

But do all of these drinks have a different behavior? Or do they just have different names and attributes? In the latter is the case, then you might want to favor composition over inheritance here and just have a single Drink class that you instantiate multiple times with different attributes.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

Forum VIP
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maths94 View Post
    Thanks a lot. Do you mind if i send you a pm with my current code, because the structure is extremely distinctive; and it's quite difficult trying to follow this with my structure. Since it's a project, i'm unable to post my code online: ( . If not, then thanks anyway, much appreciated, i'll just try get it working utilizing your advice.
    Design questions are very hard to answer because if they are made incorrectly you either need to refactor or re-write. I simply do not have the time to review an existing code base for design flaws and those that can won't (shouldn't) do it for free. Without an SSCCE we cannot advise you on what is wrong with your code only that is seems like Polymorphism (many forms) seems like a good solution to your generalized problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLowe View Post
    Design questions are very hard to answer because if they are made incorrectly you either need to refactor or re-write. I simply do not have the time to review an existing code base for design flaws and those that can won't (shouldn't) do it for free. Without an SSCCE we cannot advise you on what is wrong with your code only that is seems like Polymorphism (many forms) seems like a good solution to your generalized problem.
    Someone suggested a hashMap, could this work?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

is a combination of coke, fanta and sprite
    What drink is a combination of those 3 drinks?
    Is that a completely new drink with those 3 flavors mixed together
    or is there some kind of dispenser that allows a user to get any one of those 3 drinks?
    Before writing any code (HashMap) you need to decide on what the new class is.
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Or separate the "Drink" (or Beverage?) from the contents. The parent class for the contents may be may be Soda with child classes Coke, Pepsi, Sprite (never in the same establishment), Root Beer, SevenUp, MountainDew, etc. Ultimately, the customer is buying a Drink or Beverage that could be a certain sized cup filled with a single flavor or multiple flavors. It's the customer's Drink or Beverage the specifies what's in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    What drink is a combination of those 3 drinks?
    Is that a completely new drink with those 3 flavors mixed together
    or is there some kind of dispenser that allows a user to get any one of those 3 drinks?
    Before writing any code (HashMap) you need to decide on what the new class is.
    Basically, it's a pizza, Pre-defined Pizza e.g. margarita so i've got topping objects, base ect but i need to somehow combine them to make a 'predefined' pizza

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Pizza? I thought we were talking about sodas. Don't talk in riddles.