Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Help with my university exercise :)

Thanks

Smile Help with my university exercise :)

Hello guys,

Hopefully everything is fine with you, i am new to this forum, and to programming in general. I have a lot of experience in networking (Cisco) and i can help ofcourse. Maybe not in this forum, cause its only for Java, and we dont wanna get the Admins angry

So, this is my first topic in the forum, and its all basically about the exercise that i have to do in my university course. So please, anyone who can provide any help, should just post it. Really, anything, any small tiny piece of info would be great .

The help/provided info can be either code or models, just post whatever you know, or feel that it can be some sort of an answer.

So here is the exercise description

---------------Q----------------
    Create a model representing a cinema, which is described below. The description contains information of different quality. Think twice before you model it or before you decide to drop it. If you are uncertain document your thoughts. Draw a diagram which represents the model. You can draw either simple “boxes and lines” using a pen and a piece of paper, UML Class Diagrams, or something similar. Subsequent to the diagrams, implement your model in Java and create a simple application using your model. At least, a Java Swing Table [2] has to use parts of your model to edit and represent some data. Strictly separate your model from your application. If you have to make your own assumptions, document them in a separate file. We suggest not using any tools not mentioned by us, since working with them and understanding these tools are mostly very time consuming and confusing instead of being helpful.

The Domain and Model Description

A cinema is located in a building with a unique address. The building has 3 floors. The first floor offers a huge foyer where the tickets are sold and some bars offer some food. In the second and third floor, the projection rooms are located. There are 5 rooms, which can be entered from the 2nd and the 3rd floor. Therefore, these rooms are two-storied, with 2 exits on each floor. The rooms have different seating capacity, where each seat identity is unique:

Room 1 250 seats in 20 rows
    Room 2 75 seats in 20 rows
    Room 3 50 seats in 11 rows
    Room 4 50 seats in 5 rows
    Room 5 20 seats in 4 rows

Different films are shown at the projection rooms1. A timetable for all available films is provided to the customers, showing name, room, start- and end-time. Customers can purchase tickets at the ticket office on the 1st floor. Tickets can be purchased in different pricing categories:

7 Euro seats in rows 1 – 3
    10 Euro seats up from row 4
    5 Euro seats on Mondays
    13 Euro seats for films longer than 120 minutes

Pricing categories may change over time – for instance, during Christmas season special prices will apply. The price for a ticket is determined by the system at the time the ticket is purchased. There are 4 ticket selling windows. A ticket is valid for a defined film presented at a defined date and time for a defined seat. A duplicate ticket disposal must be prevented. Employees are hired for selling tickets and for checking tickets on each exit, but an employee cannot work on two tasks for the same time. Also, staff is not allowed to work for more than 5 hours. A shift schedule represents who is working on which place.
    The Application

a) Implement your model using Java [4]. Use the Eclipse IDE [3] (including modeling tools) so you get used to it for future assignments.
    b) Write a small application to create some sample data. The application must be implemented using Java Swing [1], and therefore has to strictly follow the model view controller pattern. Do not change your model fitting your application! At least, you have to provide one Java Swing Table [2] which uses your model for data input and visualization. For instance, the table can show the film timetable for the day, where each cell can be edited and new lines can be added.

--------------UNQ------------

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

Default Re: Help with my university exercise :)

What have you tried?

Do you have any specific questions about your project?

Also posted at: http://www.java-forums.org/new-java/...-exercise.html
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    What have you tried?

Do you have any specific questions about your project?

Also posted at: Help with my university exercise
    I havent tried anything yet, cause i am so lost and i dont know from where to start.

At least a model (written with a paper and a pencil/ in our case paint) would be a great help. Then i can write it in Java later

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

A big part of learning how to program is doing the design. Coding from a design doesn't take a programmer.

Break the assignment up into parts and work on each part separately. It's an iterative process, lots of starting ideas don't work out and have to be replaced as more insight into the problem is obtained.
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.