Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: I'm new to Java. Help please.

My Mood
    Confused
    Thanks

Default I'm new to Java. Help please.

Hello

Well I'm new to all this Java stuff. I'm doing it as one of my modules in my degree.

I have watched various videos and read the odd book, but to be honest none of it makes much sense or sinks in. In class they have give us some tutorials that we do Step by Step, (very basic tasks, like simple math equations, shapes, volume calculator, etc). I was wandering if anyone knew any place I could get tutorials like this that I could just get on with and do.

I would like tutorials that give me tasks to do, and explain why I'm doing each thing.

This is an example of one of the tutorials that I have already done

"Exercise 3: Using rational numbers

In all of the previous exercises you’ve looked at, all of your manipulation has been either of
    strings, or integers. However, Java also allows other types of data to be used. In particular, you often want to make
    use of rational (non-integer) numbers. When you’re programming, you’ll be representing these numbers as decimal numbers (i.e. in base 10).
    To get to grips with using decimal numbers, write a program that does the following:

1. Initialises five decimal numbers as 2.3, 1.7, 12.6, 1.65 and 3.3.
    2. Prints the five decimal numbers.
    3. Converts each decimal number to the nearest integer.
    4. Adds the five integers.
    5. Prints the sum and average of the five integers.

Check that the result of your program returns the correct result by hand."

Thanks for your time!

Curtis D.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Super Moderator
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks

Default Re: I'm new to Java. Help please.

These are good/typical/useful exercises, but I don't know that they give you the level of instruction you want. If you flip back to the site's home page, the instruction detail may be there, but you may have to match up the exercises with the instruction. For example, read some of section 2, Java Basics, and then do some of the Exercises in the same section until you get into material that hasn't been covered yet, flip back to the instruction part and read some more, repeat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GregBrannon For This Useful Post:

iCurtisIT (October 20th, 2013)

My Mood
    Confused
    Thanks

Default Re: I'm new to Java. Help please.

Thank you. Just had a look and it looks very helpful. Will get stuck in to it all later on this evening! Thanks again.