Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: File Format Design for Meta Data and Contents

Thanks

Question File Format Design for Meta Data and Contents

Hey all,

I am currently in duty to design a file format which carries both meta information as well as actual contents.

The meta information part mainly consists of the following attributes (may be extended):
    1) Function Name
    2) Function Arguments

The content part is of tabular structure and consists of column header and actual content rows. Both the header definition as well as the contents is all custom and the file format should be flexible enough to support this.

Example for some content:
    id    name    adresse
    1     miller  somewhere
    2     john    anywhere

Note: The aim of such a file format is to define a function to be called with the provided tabular contents.

Question:
    Is an XML format feasible to implement such requirements for meta and actual data contents as described above?
    Or is there anyone that knows of a best practise for such requirements?

I want to avoid re-inventing the wheel...

Thank you and Kind Regards,
    Rapthor

Forum VIP
    Thanks

Default Re: File Format Design for Meta Data and Contents

Personally, I've found XML to usually be the best course of action. In my experience, it provides a flexible solution where I can add/remove parts of the document format with minimal code change. It also allows good flexibility for "optional" fields, which is always a plus. Lastly, XML reading and writing is included in the standard java api, so you don't "have" to add any additional dependencies to your project (although there are some significantly better XML reading/writing apis than the standard java api one).
    NOTE TO NEW PEOPLE LOOKING FOR HELP ON FORUM:

When asking for help, please follow these guidelines to receive better and more prompt help:
    1. Put your code in Java Tags. To do this, put [highlight=java] before your code and [/highlight] after your code.
    2. Give full details of errors and provide us with as much information about the situation as possible.
    3. Give us an example of what the output should look like when done correctly.

Join the Airline Management Simulation Game to manage your own airline against other users in a virtual recreation of the United States Airline Industry. For more details, visit: http://airlinegame.orgfree.com/