Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Books and tutorials for beginners in Java and Visual Basic

Thanks

Default Books and tutorials for beginners in Java and Visual Basic

And to make matters worse, it's mine.

Good evening Java Programming Forums, I am doctor Aelurillus Insignitus (odd, I know, but it's a family name).

The thread title does not deceive you; I am, indeed, a beginner in programming. Not only in java, but in most any language excluding Visual Basic, of which I have a Computer Science I education. Computer programming being a long-running, but hitherto unhoned interest of mine, I felt inclined to purchase "Beginning Java Programming For Dummies." (if only I would have looked for "Watered Down Java Instructions for Confounded Buffoons.") However, I did not have the foresight to check how up-to-date the book was, and am now paying the price for my shortsightedness: the book references pages and programs that I am having a great amount of difficulty locating.

Thus, the purpose of my thread: if some good samaritan wouldn't mind helping me get my feet on the ground- a chore, I'm afraid -I would be most grateful.

In addition, any suggestions are appreciated. I fully intend on expanding my knowledge of visual basic, if the inhabitants of this forum deem it a worthy cause.

Edit: I won't be able to participate in my own thread until the morning. Thank you in advance for your overnight consideration.
    Last edited by Professor Spider; April 5th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oh dear, an "I'm a beginner" thread

Hello Professor Spider and welcome to the Java Programming Forums

You do not have to worry. We have all been in your situation before and when you first start looking into programming, especially Java, the concepts can be very daunting.

The best place to start, and its where I started personally, is at the Sun Java Tutorials:

Trail: Getting Started (The Java™ Tutorials)

The Sun Java Tutorials cover everything you need to know from the very beginning. Best of all, its free

Follow the tutorials and write your first Java 'Hello World' application.
    As you work your way through the tutorials, you will find you learn a lot along the way!

If you get stuck or need clarification then please post back and I will do my best to clear things up.

Once you start to build up your knowledge, check out our Tips & Tutorials forum:

Java Tips & Tutorials - Java Programming Forums

There are code snippets that will help you to pick up the language and help you build your own programs.

If you are unsure as to which development environment to use then I suggest Eclipse:

http://www.javaprogrammingforums.com...plication.html

Hopefully this is enough to get you started...

These forums are your friend. I'll be here to help you every step of the way.

Kind regards
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

Thanks

Oh my, all of these tutorials are very useful and immediately answered all of my questions. I applaud your generous assistance, good sir.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: Oh dear, an "I'm a beginner" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Spider View Post
    Oh my, all of these tutorials are very useful and immediately answered all of my questions. I applaud your generous assistance, good sir.
    Brilliant! I'm glad I could help you get started.

I'm sure I will see you here again soon
    Please use [highlight=Java] code [/highlight] tags when posting your code.
    Forum Tip: Add to peoples reputation by clicking the button on their useful posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JavaPF View Post

I'm sure I will see you here again soon
    An enviroment as friendly and helpful as this? Sir, you may count on it.
    Last edited by Professor Spider; April 7th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

You may want to mark this thread as SOLVED if you don't have any further questions relating to this topic. This can be done under "Thread Tools" at the top of the page.