Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Largest object in an array of objects

Thanks

Default Largest object in an array of objects

Hello, I'm sorta new to Java and I am having issues -understanding- the assignment.
    I'm not asking for any codes, just hoping I could get some clarification on some of the requirements.

The assignment is...

Finding the largest object:
    Write a method that returns the largest objects in an array of objects. The method
    Signature is:
    public static Object max( Comparable[] a)
    All objects are instance of the Comparable interface. The order of objects in array is determined using compareTo method.
    Write a test program( Deriver) that creates array of ten Strings, MRects and Dates, and find the largest String, MRect and Date in the array.

So, my question is, would it be suitable to make a class named "Object" and create the method "public static Object max( Comparable[] a)" in the class?
    Or is there already an Object class that I have yet to hear about?

For the method, I am confuse as to why I am suppose to pass a Comparable[] as one of the arguments. Would someone be able to clarify that?

PS: Not sure if I posted this in the right section. My apologies in advance.

Thanks

Default Re: Largest object in an array of objects

In my interpretation, Object is just a generic name for a class. I think you create a class with a field variable String/Date/Rectangle, that implement Comparable<CLASSNAME>. Then you need to override the method compareTo() in order to get the biggest String/Date/Rectangle. Then in that class create a method public static ClassName max(AnArrayofThisClass[] a) that returns the largest instance of the Class. I think Comparable[] a is just saying that it is an array of objects that have implemented Comparable.

My Mood
    Daring
    Thanks

Default Re: Largest object in an array of objects

Quote Originally Posted by Noct View Post
    would it be suitable to make a class named "Object"
    Or is there already an Object class that I have yet to hear about?
    java.lang.Object

For the method, I am confuse as to why I am suppose to pass a Comparable[] as one of the arguments. Would someone be able to clarify that?
    Say you have object A. Object A implements the Comparable interface. This means object A knows how to compare itself to another object. When you call the method for object A, you have to give it another Comparable object to compare to. What you pass in is the other object, say B. Then object A decides if it is larger than, smaller than, or equal to B, and returns the result to where the method call was made.

--- Update ---

Not sure if I posted this in the right section. My apologies in advance.
    The "Whats wrong with my code" section is reserved for questions with code.
    Thread moved to theory and questions.