Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: absolute beginner needs direction

Thanks

Default absolute beginner needs direction

Hi All,

I want to start a bit of a learning project and could do with some advice on where to start.

I want to create a table consisting of football results, so I can then display using java:

Gameweek results
    Would show all games and results for that week

Team results
    Would show all results for that team, as in who they played and on what week.

I'd like each element to be linkable, so I could go from displaying gameweek 25 and then click Tottenham and then see their results.

What would be that best way to go about this?

I know html but not really MySQL or Java - this is the real aim of the project.

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Default Re: absolute beginner needs direction

First off you should probably learn Java first, get a book or two (Head First and Wrox Press are usually decent). Once you get the basics down figuring the database portion isn't too hard (well with the exception of the connection) and there is enough online to get you going, and the rest you'll figure out through trial and error (as far as MySql goes)...

Thanks

Default Re: absolute beginner needs direction

Learn Java! wow. OK, that was the aim. I've selected JavaŽ Programming 24-Hour Trainer By: Yakov Fain

However, I have a Safari Books account so will check out the publishers you mentioned. I find Head First a little long-winded.

Could you drill down into the particular facets of Java I would need at all?

Do you know if a MySQL table can have comma separated values within a cell? If not I'll have to design my table differently. At the moment a cell contains Gameweek, Home score, Away score.

Thanks for replying.