Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Java Based OS

Thanks

Default Java Based OS

Hey guys. So I have recently been researching java based operating systems and haven't really found a lot... I want to create one. What I need to learn how to do is the native, non-java stuff. I assume I will need to learn assembly... I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers or tutorials about this subject. A quick google search for java based operating system tutorials doesn't seem to be of much help. I will keep looking around though. I understand what I am getting myself into when I say I want to make an OS in java BUT I have lots of time to waste.

Thanks

Default Re: Java Based OS

If you think of an OS like - for instance - a linux kernel which you can install on a hard drive. That's impossible. Java needs a VM and thus a basic OS. There is no way to evade these fact. But I assume that it's possible to create a java application which acts like an OS(emulator), which avails a file system, a kind of memory model, resource allocation, thread management, input and output management. I saw such things in javascript and browser based a time ago maybe. I know that javascript is not java!!! But maybe you can look into this

For these requirements you dont need to know assembly or C. The way to use both from java is tricky to impossible, anyway.
    As a conclusion I suggest to learn the theoretics/basisc of OS first and to instruct yourself into linux core development.

BTW I had the idea of developing an OS in C/C++ (only for learning these basics) a few years ago, too. And I failed due to the mass of things to know and to develop. Ended in a small linux kernel withou any function. I would be VERY impressed if you achieve your targets.

Thanks

well i know that it cant be 100 percent java but just look at jnode... its that kind of thing im thinking of.

Thanks

You can do that but it would need to implement a basic JVM-Kernel which than can be extended using Java itself. There were some projects doing research in that topic (even SUN had a real Java OS project) but it's not that easy and would only be interesting for embedded devices. At least there are some processors directly implementing the Java Bytecode which could simplify the process of building some basic kernel but that are no "PCs" but embedded systems :-)

Here's the wikipedia article about the SUN project and there are links to some of the others:
    JavaOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks

Well as far as it not being easy: what is? If you ask me, most things that are even worth it are difficult... and I have plenty of time to work on it. I just need like.. not theoretical help but how to actually do it... Where should I start? I don't think there are any tutorials on java operating systems so... I have no idea where to start... when I say where to start, I mean like.. what file do I need to code first? That type of thing.

Thanks

Why not start with looking at existing projects sourcecode?