Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Issue Tracking And Repositories for College Students

Forum VIP
    Thanks

Default Issue Tracking And Repositories for College Students

I wanted to know if anyone knew of any good (preferably free) issue tracking systems and repository sites for a college project.
    NOTE TO NEW PEOPLE LOOKING FOR HELP ON FORUM:

When asking for help, please follow these guidelines to receive better and more prompt help:
    1. Put your code in Java Tags. To do this, put [highlight=java] before your code and [/highlight] after your code.
    2. Give full details of errors and provide us with as much information about the situation as possible.
    3. Give us an example of what the output should look like when done correctly.

Join the Airline Management Simulation Game to manage your own airline against other users in a virtual recreation of the United States Airline Industry. For more details, visit: http://airlinegame.orgfree.com/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Issue Tracking And Repositories for College Students

BitBucket has unlimited free private repositories. You get a wiki and an issues tracker. I believe their pricing strategy is based on the number of users using a repository, up to 5 users can access a repository that's owned by a free account.

Github also offers a special free private repo plan for students, or you can get their micro plan which is $7/month. With their standard plans they provide private repos that allow unlimited numbers of contributers, I don't know if the student version is the same. Again, you get free wiki and issue tracking capabilities.

And you can also check with your college computing center to see what they have. The college I went to allowed you to setup SVN repositories on their website, and I could host my own website on their servers so in theory I might have been able to setup a basic issues tracker, though I never tried.

There are also a variety of free open source repo hosting services (sourceforge, google code, codeplex, etc.). This is not a good idea for assignments and class projects as your fellow peers can take a peek at your work and cheat, but may be a viable solution for research projects.