Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Alpha-beta pruning example

My Mood
    Busy
    Thanks

Default Alpha-beta pruning example

Hi, I'm studying for a test and trying to practice with alpha beta pruining. I found this site that I can practice potentially both (minimax with and without alpha beta, it's an applet), but it doesn't show the pruning when I choose alpha-beta drop down option. I copied the image and attached here, I just want to make sure I am cutting off the proper sub-trees. Just want to make sure I'm applying alpha-beta pruning correctly.

Alpha_beta_prune_eg.jpg

**When would it not be any benefit to use alpha-beta, because I know when we have a huge tree (high depth), then we can improve the a factor of its square root so with branching factor: b, depth: d, O(b^d) becomes O(b^(d/2). But when would alpha-beta pruning actutally be an overhead?? Any heap appreciated.

Hyperlink to image above: http://www.javaprogrammingforums.com...a_prune_eg-jpg

EDIT: My mistake, the applet just darkens the pruned sub trees, so I was correct.

My Mood
    Busy
    Thanks

Default Re: Alpha-beta pruning example

When would alpha-beta pruning be an overhead rather than reduce time for AI to make a move? Any help appreciated.