Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Why doesnt this logical tile loading system not work as I a begginer expect it to and many others for that matter?

My Mood
    Cold
    Thanks

Default Why doesnt this logical tile loading system not work as I a begginer expect it to and many others for that matter?

Hello This is for a Java game

Why does this system only draw portions of tiles, it looks as if it only ever iterates a couple times
    and doesn't iterate to load the entire map even though my txt file images\map.txt has something like.

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 1 1 3 4 1 1 1 1 2 3 ect.

please take a look at the sample.jpg I,ve attached.

I don't understand Ive spent a couple days now trying to load a full map.

This is my method of loading a java game map at run time.
    Please help Thankyou.

private void load() throws FileNotFoundException
                                                                        {
                                                                          Scanner coords_scanner = new Scanner(new File("txt\\hud_map.txt")) ;

while(coords_scanner.hasNextInt())
                                                                                    {
                                                                                      int i = 0 ;  

for(i = 0; i < 100; i++)
                                                                                      {
                                                                                           switch(coords_scanner.nextInt())
                                                                                           {                                                                                                  
                                                                                               case 1 :
                                                                                                        draw_x_coords[i] +=  70 ;  // horizontal tile
                                                                                               break ;
                                                                                               case 2 :
                                                                                                       draw_y_coords[i] += 70 ;   // vertical tile
                                                                                               break ;
                                                                                               case 3 :
                                                                                                       draw_x_coords[i] += 140 ; // horizontal space
                                                                                               break ;
                                                                                               case 4 :
                                                                                                       draw_y_coords[i] += 140 ; // veritcal space
                                                                                               break ;
                                                                                           }
                                                                                      }
                                                                                   }
                                                                        }

for(int i = 0; i < draw_x_coords.length ; i++)
                                                    {

g2d.drawImage(METAL_TILE,draw_x_coords[i],draw_y_coords[i],70,70,null) ;

}
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 2,658 Posts

Default Re: Why doesnt this logical tile loading system not work as I a begginer expect it to and many others for that matter?

Can you post a small complete program the compiles, executes and shows the problem?
    Its not possible to test the small pieces of code that was posted.
    If you don't understand my answer, don't ignore it, ask a question.