Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: The Collectivizer - the ultimate online directory

Default The Collectivizer - the ultimate online directory

I've just got an idea for another project - far more realistic then my last though, about The World Simulation Project. That one would take 10 years to fully realize - this one, only a week. The Collectivizer. A free online database program, that allows users to enter all their personal information, weight, skin color, eye-color, traits, education level, name/address, etc, or as much as they want, and that stores that information in a central repository for anyone to use.

What's the use of this? This is practically useless you say. Not true. There are infinitely many good possibilities for such a program. You can search your city for people - or just collect demographics about it. How many red-heads living in this city for instance? Oh this many - where do they live? Here. How many people live in Berlin, Germany? Etc. Voluntary contribution. Any suggestions? I'm planning on starting work on this soon, and can have it up and running within a week.

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Default Re: The Collectivizer - the ultimate online directory

The question is, how do you entice people to use your site? It won't be very useful unless you have a significant portion of the population entered into the DB, and there are a ton of issues even assuming you've got that.

If you want to use this to practice with a database, that's cool. But if you really expect people to use your service, you're going to have to give them some incentive.

Alternatively, you could try mining existing databases (public facebook profiles, for example, or census information) to get at the information you want.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

My Mood
    Daring
    Thanks

Default Re: The Collectivizer - the ultimate online directory

I was involved in a similar project in Second Life. I say similar. It was the same concept but a database about the avatars rather than people. Here are my thoughts on the idea:

that allows users to enter all their personal information, weight, skin color, eye-color, traits, education level, name/address, etc, or as much as they want, and that stores that information in a central repository for anyone to use.
    How many people have signed up to display their private information in a public database? Our studies showed less than 10% of people were willing to have their avatar information collected for this database. Remember this was non-personal facts about the avatar itself and in no way could identify a real life person.*

- this one, only a week.
    If you think you can organize a global plan in a week, you are the man. It took weeks to gather a sample set of avatar data from the digital world.

What's the use of this? This is practically useless you say. Not true. There are infinitely many good possibilities for such a program.
    ...and infinitely many bad ones.

Voluntary contribution.
    This is a key problem. This means the data is incomplete, and therefore inaccurate. You could only see how many red-headed volunteers lived in the city.

Any suggestions?
    Don't invest anything you are not willing to lose in this project?

*With some work and a hole in security in 2008 it may be possible to link real people to avatars who were registered users at the time of the security breach.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jps For This Useful Post:

KevinWorkman (October 29th, 2012)