Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Evaluating two ints at the same time

Thanks

Default Evaluating two ints at the same time

What I'm doing is running two different random objects to get two random ints, and then doing an if-else statement to run a different section of code depending on which two random ints are selected. If I set it so that it selects just one random int and then runs an if-else statement based on which single int is selected, it works fine. But I can't get it to evaluate two ints at once. When I try to do this, the code in the if-else statements doesn't run at all.

Here's the code...

Random rnd2 = new Random();
    int vehiclecolour = rnd2.nextInt(14);
    System.out.println("Vehicle colour: " + vehiclecolour);

Random rnd3 = new Random();
    int vehicletype = rnd3.nextInt(6);
    System.out.println("Vehicle type: " + vehicletype);

if (vehiclecolour==1 && vehicletype==1)
    {

//Run some code
    }

else if (vehiclecolour==1 && vehicletype==2)
    {

//Run some code
    }

else if (vehiclecolour==1 && vehicletype==3)
    {

//Run some code
    }

This continues for all of the remaining possible combinations of the two random ints. Like I said, if I change the code so that only one random int is evaluated, then it will work fine, but when I run it as above, the code inside the if-else statements doesn't run at all. So what am I doing wrong here?

Also, as a side question - is there any way to get it so that the random int objects won't select 0?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sean448; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Evaluating two ints at the same time

Hello Sean448!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean448 View Post
    What I'm doing is running two different random objects to get two random ints, and then doing an if-else statement to run a different section of code depending on which two random ints are selected. If I set it so that it selects just one random int and then runs an if-else statement based on which single int is selected, it works fine. But I can't get it to evaluate two ints at once. When I try to do this, the code in the if-else statements doesn't run at all.

This continues for all of the remaining possible combinations of the two random ints. Like I said, if I change the code so that only one random int is evaluated, then it will work fine, but when I run it as above, the code inside the if-else statements doesn't run at all. So what am I doing wrong here?
    If I were you, i would make the random objects return two values(ie 1 and 2), change the if statements to evaluate these four combinations (1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2). If that worked, I would then expand it. This way you will be able to find the bug easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean448 View Post
    Also, as a side question - is there any way to get it so that the random int objects won't select 0?
    The nextInt(int n) method returns an int between 0 (inclusive) and n (exclusive).
    Therefore you cannot make it not select 0. But you can add 1 to the value it returns. For example, if you want a random int between 1 and 6 you can have the following statement:
    int x = 1 + random.nextInt(6);

Hope it helps.