Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Need a good rpg game idea..

My Mood
    Devilish
    Thanks

Default Need a good rpg game idea..

I asked in a thread about half a month ago about fun projects to do.. I got one about a RPG that they made.

I want to make a rpg, but I got no clue about any ideas.

Like create farms, have gold as a currency buy sell things.

If anyone created something like this and was fun, (I like creating fun things) Please share the idea, and all the different things you did with your code.

I created a simple fight script, just barely getting 2 buttons to interact with it but looking to improve!

Also, I want to stray away from paint and graphics right now, I don't understand the concept enough yet. I don't feel like i'm ready. So its basically a text based game maybe with gui.
    Last edited by Emperor_Xyn; January 1st, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

In Hyrule enjoying a chat with Demise and Ganondorf
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thanks

Default Re: Need a good rpg game idea..

Well, I can't exactly say I've done anything like this (though I am working on a couple little games right now). However, a word of advice I'd offer is to really think about how you want to organize your game. Write out what you want it to do, and then decide what things should be objects, which should be functions, and the hierarchy of your classes (which classes report to which; which class is the "head honcho", so to speak). It will be a lot easier (and more fun!) to program your game if it is organized well.

As for ideas... I have none at the moment. If I do, I'll suggest stuff.
    Use highlight tags to help others help you!

[highlight=Java]Your prettily formatted code goes here[/highlight]

Using these tags makes your code formatted, and helps everyone answer your questions more easily!

Wanna hear something funny?

Me too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snowguy13 For This Useful Post:

Emperor_Xyn (January 1st, 2012)

My Mood
    Devilish
    Thanks

Thanks dude =) Recent I have been doing that in notepad, I never thought it would be me, but it did help alot.

And yeah, I know my question could be better awsnerd making my own project unique to me, but I thought i'd throw the question here and get a better idea than personally I will come up with.

PS: love your sig lol
    Last edited by Emperor_Xyn; January 1st, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Forum VIP
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am in the process of designing my first serious RPG. I have written a little bit of experimental code to get the foundation but I don't want to just rush into developing until the design is solidified (so far it's about a 20page design document with class and object UML diagrams and concept art). Trust me on this; coming up with an idea is nothing compared to the challenges ahead for you. You should know, RPG's are amongst the most difficult games to write and I don't know of a single one that was written by a sole developer that is playable let alone sale-able (would love to be correct here).

Anyway my Idea is a space exploration theme. The character is the captain of an experimental FTL spacecraft. The ship can open a gravity gate that allows travel between the star's but there is a catch - you only have control over the destination if you have already visited the system. So you fire up the gravity gate and get slung to a random star system. Your mission is to colonize the galaxy with human life so you need to find suitable planets/moons, build infrastructure and start new colonies. You will need to check up on your colonies once in a while to maintain them.

The economics of the game are; replicators, heavy metals, organics, H20, exotic subatomic particles and antimatter. Each is obtained and spent differently, for example, your replicators are your 'slave labor' and are spent to build structures, they replicate themselves so constantly increase up to a certain number which can be increased by purchasing ship upgrades which require Exotic particles which require a particle accelerator.

Behind the scenes, a single random Long is generated which describes the star system - binary/single, size, mass, distance, etc. It even generates the simplex noise and diffuse texture for the planets (this is what my experimental code runs over). When the player enters a system this long is checked against a database and any existing structures in the system are returned, making it MMORPG.

The actual graphics are going to be pretty crude. Layered 2D giving the illusion of a 3D command bridge. I've attached some early concept art for the HUD.

You are free to use this idea of course (or I wouldn't be describing it). But as you can imagine, this is an extremely ambitious projects and will probably take somewhere between 3 and 5 years (if it ever gets out of the design phase, which I doubt it will any time soon).
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristopherLowe For This Useful Post:

Emperor_Xyn (January 1st, 2012)

My Mood
    Devilish
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLowe View Post
    I am in the process of designing my first serious RPG. I have written a little bit of experimental code to get the foundation but I don't want to just rush into developing until the design is solidified (so far it's about a 20page design document with class and object UML diagrams and concept art). Trust me on this; coming up with an idea is nothing compared to the challenges ahead for you. You should know, RPG's are amongst the most difficult games to write and I don't know of a single one that was written by a sole developer that is playable let alone sale-able (would love to be correct here).

Anyway my Idea is a space exploration theme. The character is the captain of an experimental FTL spacecraft. The ship can open a gravity gate that allows travel between the star's but there is a catch - you only have control over the destination if you have already visited the system. So you fire up the gravity gate and get slung to a random star system. Your mission is to colonize the galaxy with human life so you need to find suitable planets/moons, build infrastructure and start new colonies. You will need to check up on your colonies once in a while to maintain them.

The economics of the game are; replicators, heavy metals, organics, H20, exotic subatomic particles and antimatter. Each is obtained and spent differently, for example, your replicators are your 'slave labor' and are spent to build structures, they replicate themselves so constantly increase up to a certain number which can be increased by purchasing ship upgrades which require Exotic particles which require a particle accelerator.

Behind the scenes, a single random Long is generated which describes the star system - binary/single, size, mass, distance, etc. It even generates the simplex noise and diffuse texture for the planets (this is what my experimental code runs over). When the player enters a system this long is checked against a database and any existing structures in the system are returned, making it MMORPG.

The actual graphics are going to be pretty crude. Layered 2D giving the illusion of a 3D command bridge. I've attached some early concept art for the HUD.

You are free to use this idea of course (or I wouldn't be describing it). But as you can imagine, this is an extremely ambitious projects and will probably take somewhere between 3 and 5 years (if it ever gets out of the design phase, which I doubt it will any time soon).
    I REALLY Appreciate this post.

Thank you =)

And yes, too advanced for me, but I will take what I can from it thanks =)

But on another note, are you really going to spend 3-5 years developing that??? Idk, if your using killer Graphics and your actually making a pretty dam good game...

Just cannot see myself working on a project more than a week(Well unless you know it was required)
    Last edited by Emperor_Xyn; January 1st, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Forum VIP
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

But on another note, are you really going to spend 3-5 years developing that??? Idk, if your using killer Graphics and your actually making a pretty dam good game...

Just cannot see myself working on a project more than a week(Well unless you know it was required)
    Consider that AAA games take 3-5 years with teams of hundreds of multi discipline professionals. The last game I wrote (a C++/DirectX 2D platformer) took me about 6 months (2-8 hrs per week) and it is playable and fun but I nobody would pay a dime for it or play it for more than a few minutes. I figured 3-5 years is a reasonable time frame for what I have in mind. When (if) I get a good enough foot hold on the project I may even buy in some labor for testing/QA. I would like to get to the point where I can release it as a low budget indi game.