Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Report Viewing Problem

Thanks

Default Report Viewing Problem

honestly speaking, this post could be messy, let me start with I DONT KNOW 'How' and 'where' could i get the answer for this one..

-im looking for a way how to get a report 'view' thing for the program im writing(time keeping), generating reports for log in/out of an employee
    -i saw a thing called JasperReport for generating an .xml file, that can be manipulated using iReport, a complex one
    -i was mentally shocked due to i dont know where and how to start, i tried different articles stating some codes , samples, step-by-step procedure(which-i CANNOT follow), but i always ended up in a very nasty exceptions, stream exception, doc != null..
    -i saw some samples that queries a database values with some varchar, int data type to the iReport/.jrxml
    -the problem is, im manipulating Employee data by serializing objects, a table with longblob type that saves my Employee instances
    -the codes that i saw passes an argument of an instance of Connection directly to a .jrxml file, i really dont know how can i pass the values
    to the file from java code, not directly by from the Database, due to this serializing, i have to deserialize and object first, get the values on it, and pass it into a report viewer thing (.jrxml), but i only see samples that directly passes a Connection to the .jrxml and queries all on it

-so i decided to go hard core again(atleast i have some idea though), instead of using these bunch of things that i wont be able to study due to time constraints,
    -i decided to go back to swing components, JTextPane, JEditorPane, Text Components

Question: (while im trying to look for resources which can be accepted by my brain)

1.) which of the components do i need to write JUST...... a simple looking Paper that will stand as a report view? where i can pass java data from a deserialized object
    2.) will it be printable? if yes, what classes should i focus on? for printing THESE paper looking reports
    - though i have some idea how, the print package of awt.

im really stressed up, my statement writings expereses my stress.. i hope you can give me some advice with this one..

Thanks

Default Re: Report Viewing Problem

let me state the thing that i want to accomplish using the iReport/JasperReport that i wasnt able to comprehend due to tons of things i see in the web

1.) create a file which has 8 columns(specificaly for the 8 data inside a seriliazied object)
    2.) pass the deserialized object's data to that file using some connection
    3.) after passing the data, a dialog or a swing component such as a button will access that report(.jrxml) that has the values that i passed

Thanks

Default Re: Report Viewing Problem

You can use NextReports (Business reporting software - NextReports Designer, Engine and Server) . Free java engine, free designer. Easy to use. Free manual. Just look at it.