Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: Script to clear Java plugin Cache..

Thanks

Default Script to clear Java plugin Cache..

Not sure if this is appropriate forum..but I thought I would start here.

We have applet based web application, and we are experiencing situations when the Client machine's java browser plugin cache is not cleared and hence the latest application updates are not reflected on the client PC, unless they manaully go and clean the java Cache (Control panel --> Java). I was wondering if there is a way to access and remove these cache programatically using java?

- I would rather be coding !
    Einstein

My Mood
    Stressed
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Script to clear Java plugin Cache..

Don't quote me on this, but I'd assume not, as the access it requires goes beyond what is allowed to prevent hacking.
    Please use [highlight=Java]//code goes here...[/highlight] tags when posting your code

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You can try specifying a no-cache option for the applet. There is no guarantee every browser will honor the policy however, and for those that due will make loading time for each page load the same (given no cache, the browser downloads the applet every time). There may also be a way to version the applet (for webstart there is), if the browser detects a new version it will not use the cached version, so I encourage you to search the net to investigate this

Thanks

Actually, its not just the Applet, but all these dependent jar files that needs to get downloaded before the app starts on the client machine. The applet itself is a 3rd party applet that lets you specify the jar file we need to download onto the client machine in their configuration file, for the app to run.

I was reading a little bit and I understand the security concerns, but I was wondering if we can Sign the jar files, and would that allow us to bypass these security issues? And this is a intranet application and we cannot expect every user to manually clean up the cahce on their local machine which is not pretty..there got to be a way around..isn't it?