Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: package for Beginners

Thanks

Default package for Beginners

Respected PROGRAMMERS

When a classfile that belongs to a package, then

package PackageName;

is included in the source code of that file. So when jvm is invoked by writing

java PackageName.classfilename

it gets executed.

Is it that "package PackageName" guarantees the jvm that this classfile belongs to this very package? Because if we omit the "package PackageName" statement, then jvm still finds out the class file but gives

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Classfilename
    wrongname PackageName/ClassfileName
    It means jvm finds out the file but there is some reason for which it considers that this classfile has a wrong name.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: package for Beginners

As far as i know, you have to fix the environment variables, in order to let jvm know about the exact location of your file. Coz your class file is not set as a main project file. And in your environment variable CLASS_PATH, you have given the path to the directory. So, it is able to find the package but not class.
    Also, you can use editors. Editors allow you to set any project as main project.
    I don't know, if this is the answer, you asking for.

My Mood
    Where
    Thanks

Once the JVM finds the class you are looking for, it checks the first line for that package statement. If the package statement isn't there, it assumes the class, the command or SOMETHING was named incorrectly. The package statement is absolutely required in a source file to to make sure both the compiler and the JVM at runtime understand what classes should be where.

This has nothing to do with Class Path if I understand your question correctly...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The package statement is absolutely required in a source file to to make sure both the compiler and the JVM at runtime understand what classes should be where
    Package statements are not required. Packages help organize code as well as define the class path, but are not required.