Welcome to the Java Programming Forums

The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!

The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.

>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING

Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Thread: need help in my project

My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks

Default need help in my project

Hi everyone,

Im going to do my capstone project next Fall semester 2011. I would like you to cooperate with us by answering the interview questions which will be considered as an important source that will contribute to the development of the application. The following paragraph will give brief information about our project.

Our project involves developing an application for teaching Java. This application will have four parts which are teaching materials, revision questions, assignments, and assessments. Our aim is to create an application that helps students to learn Java in an easy and interesting way.

Do you think students face some difficulties in learning Java? Why?

What do you recommend to overcome this problem?

What kind of tools you think that would help you teaching programming?

Do you think using this application will make it easier for students to learn Java? How?

Is it beneficial to use games in teaching Java language for adults? why?

If there is such software would you like to use it as a teacher?

Any more comments or suggestions for our application?

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer the questions

please reply as soon as possible

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Default Re: need help in my project

This is interesting and I'd like to open it up for discussion, but this is not the forum for it since it's not a technical question. I'm going to move this to the cafe (where you'll probably get more attention).
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks

Sure, but students face difficulties learning anything. Programming has prerequisites- math, logic, problem solving, some of which are almost impossible to teach. In any given introductory programming class, it’s impossible to determine where the class is with those prerequisites- some people might have had advanced calculus, others might barely understand algebra. Some might be able to solve a problem in an hour, others might not even understand what a question is asking- and all of this is before the computer is even turned on!

It has also been suggested that certain people simply cannot learn to program: Coding Horror: Separating Programming Sheep from Non-Programming Goats

Like I said, perhaps the assumption that it can or should be overcome is invalid. But if it is to be overcome, the solution probably lies in strengthening the prerequisites- but whose job is that? It also lies in making the fundamentals more interesting. That is our job, but you can't force a student into thinking that for lops are interesting. If a brand new student doesn't think hello world is at least a little cool, then there's probably not much we can do to keep that person interested in anything else.

I actually do plan on teaching programming. If I were to start today, I would make heavy use of the Processing language, for reasons explained in this post: http://www.javaprogrammingforums.com...rocessing.html

Do you think using this application will make it easier for students to learn Java? How?

If you’re talking about my suggestion, then the answer has to be yes (otherwise why would I suggest it). One of the “problems” with programming is that to do anything “cool” (like flashy visuals), you have to get through some pretty advanced topics (for Java, we’re talking Swing, Java2D, events, timing). Processing abstracts that stuff away and gives you a rendering loop. Which hello world generates more interest: one that prints “hello world” to a command line, or one that displays it in an applet?

Once the student’s interest is piqued (with the easy flashy stuff), then you can introduce the more advanced topics that might not “look” as cool by themselves, but are required for anything really spectacular.

That really depends. Games can be useful because they incorporate a lot of advanced features used in other fields, but making it overly kiddy or concentrating on the specifics of a game can be detrimental. Obviously if you’re teaching a class on JTables, most people there aren’t going to want to hear about collision detection.

What such software? Like I said, if I were starting my teaching career today, I’d use Processing.

There have been several applications that are supposed to introduce students to programming. I’ve used a few of them, and I haven’t really liked any of them. You shouldn’t have to “trick” a student into programming by covering it up with games (Game Maker) or stories (Alice). That’s just going to cause a lot of disenchanted freshman to change their major to business when they realize that programming is HARD. Make it interesting, make it visual, but don’t cover it up.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinWorkman For This Useful Post:

JavaPF (September 28th, 2011)

My Mood
    Bored
    Thanks

thank you soooo much for your help and waiting for other replys ^^..

Thanks

Hmm

Yes I do, I think its cause the assignments are too little.

I'd rather have 4 assignments; 2 reinforcing what I just learnt. And 2 doing the same as the preceding but also somehow with out confuddling me; teach me something I will learn in the next few lessons.

Like I said lots of assignments, give them time to get more experience, make many mistakes and spot them and learn from them. If you can get them at an early time to see that an error can be fixed easily they won't be a mess when you get to teaching loops, GUI's, Inheritance.

Yes it will. You should have the student learn everything you would teach if you were standing in front of them.

Not always but I can help sometimes. Get them calm a little and indirectly teach something. but like Kevin said don't over do it.

Hmm, I haven't tried any yet, just learning Java actually.

Fun, simple, and lots of assignments. Teach everything never assume they will learn to spell if they can't read.