Welcome to the Java Programming Forums


The professional, friendly Java community. 21,500 members and growing!


The Java Programming Forums are a community of Java programmers from all around the World. Our members have a wide range of skills and they all have one thing in common: A passion to learn and code Java. We invite beginner Java programmers right through to Java professionals to post here and share your knowledge. Become a part of the community, help others, expand your knowledge of Java and enjoy talking with like minded people. Registration is quick and best of all free. We look forward to meeting you.


>> REGISTER NOW TO START POSTING


Members have full access to the forums. Advertisements are removed for registered users.

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Dear members,

    I really need your help in something.. I have a Java Project for tmrw and I really dont have time to do it... It is some simple code that , i guess, more than half of you have it.. can you help me?



    Implement the queen’s problem:

    • The program should ask the user to enter a number n >=4
    • Then the program should place n queens on an n x n board with no queen attacking any of the others
    • You must use a stack (as described in the slides) to implement
    • Your program should show the following out put:
    o A list of the positions to be filled
    o A drawing (use an applet or application) showing the n x n board with n positions filled (draw anything in the positions, a circle, change color, or anything that indicates that the position is filled)


  2. #2
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    That's not how this works. Do your own homework, otherwise you're cheating.

    Feel free to show your work and ask a specific question.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  3. #3
    Grand Poobah
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 165 Times in 156 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by Vins25 View Post
    I really dont have time to do it
    In that case take the F that you deserve!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by Vins25 View Post
    Dear members,

    I really need your help in something.. I have a Java Project for tmrw and I really dont have time to do it... It is some simple code that , i guess, more than half of you have it.. can you help me?



    Implement the queen’s problem:

    • The program should ask the user to enter a number n >=4
    • Then the program should place n queens on an n x n board with no queen attacking any of the others
    • You must use a stack (as described in the slides) to implement
    • Your program should show the following out put:
    o A list of the positions to be filled
    o A drawing (use an applet or application) showing the n x n board with n positions filled (draw anything in the positions, a circle, change color, or anything that indicates that the position is filled)
    Ironically, as you've broke down the problem you're trying to solve into logical steps, you've already solved half of the problem.

    Oh to be a modern programmer.

    Regards,

    Shaun.

  5. #5
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    Ironically, as you've broke down the problem you're trying to solve into logical steps, you've already solved half of the problem.
    I'm pretty sure the problem was already broken down into steps when he was handed the assignment. This is probably just a copy-paste of the assignment sheet. The fact that half the work is done and the OP still has "no time to deal with assignment" doesn't really bode well for his future as a programmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    Oh to be a modern programmer.
    ?
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    ?
    lol - I just noticed on my course how these IT whizz-kids suddenly realise that programming isn't just drag-and-drop, using wizards and so on, and it's an actual skill-set that you have to learn.

    Regards,

    Shaun.

  7. #7
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    lol - I just noticed on my course how these IT whizz-kids suddenly realise that programming isn't just drag-and-drop, using wizards and so on, and it's an actual skill-set that you have to learn.

    Regards,

    Shaun.
    True that yo. I've seen waaay too many "copy-paste" programmers. It hurts my brain. I actually sat and watched a kid "program" by copying and pasting EVERYTHING- and I mean everything. He could not declare a variable without looking it up and copy-pasting it from somewhere else. It was so slow and aggravating. We were seniors in college. Terrifying.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    True that yo. I've seen waaay too many "copy-paste" programmers. It hurts my brain. I actually sat and watched a kid "program" by copying and pasting EVERYTHING- and I mean everything. He could not declare a variable without looking it up and copy-pasting it from somewhere else. It was so slow and aggravating. We were seniors in college. Terrifying.
    A friend of mine does debugging for his company, so if anyone has problems with their program, they take it to him. He had one guy come to him with a problem, and when he looked at the program, all of the comments were in Polish. He said, "I think you should learn how to speak Polish! Or, don't be lazy in future by copying and pasting code from someone else." It made me laugh!

    I'm glad I learnt programming in the 1980s :-D

    Regards,

    Shaun.

  9. #9
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    A friend of mine does debugging for his company, so if anyone has problems with their program, they take it to him. He had one guy come to him with a problem, and when he looked at the program, all of the comments were in Polish. He said, "I think you should learn how to speak Polish! Or, don't be lazy in future by copying and pasting code from someone else." It made me laugh!
    Hahaha that's pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    I'm glad I learnt programming in the 1980s :-D
    Oh don't hate on all of us new guys (I'm 25). Some of us are okay, I promise! But yeah, it seems that computer science and programming used to attract people who were genuinely interested in the subject, so they actually wanted to work and learn because it was fun to them.

    But now it's as if computer science and programming attract a lot of lazy people who think either A- "I hear there's a lot of money in programming, so I guess I'll do that", B- "I like video games, so that means I should be a programmer" or C- "I'm going to build the next facebook and be a millionaire in a year, screw this hello world stuff". It's aggravating, especially as somebody who loves programming, surrounded by peers just trying to do the least amount of work to get a C.

    And universities cater to it- they really just want to get enrollment numbers up so they can get more money. To keep their numbers up, they can't fail people out who deserve it. So the university is happy as long as there are people in the seats, even though the school is rolling out lackluster graduates.

    But I don't know, maybe that's always been the case. Or maybe it's true of all subjects (do art majors complain that the major is becoming lazier?). And I have an admittedly United States-centric viewpoint, so it might be different other places.

    Anyway, I digress. This is a sore subject for me, can you tell?
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    Oh don't hate on all of us new guys (I'm 25). Some of us are okay, I promise! But yeah, it seems that computer science and programming used to attract people who were genuinely interested in the subject, so they actually wanted to work and learn because it was fun to them.
    Actually, there are a couple of guys who are really good on the course I'm on, especially those 'immigrant' students from Poland or Slovakia. All-but-one of the people to drop out or not pass the first year of the course would describe themselves as British, sad but true! But it's meant that the guys who want to learn the Science behind computing are still on the course, and they're a good bunch really. All much younger than I.

    By the way, I went to study Social Sciences when I left school; I'm retraining just because I loved programming as a child, well I still do now I've reacquainted myself.

    But now it's as if computer science and programming attract a lot of lazy people who think either A- "I hear there's a lot of money in programming, so I guess I'll do that", B- "I like video games, so that means I should be a programmer" or C- "I'm going to build the next facebook and be a millionaire in a year, screw this hello world stuff". It's aggravating, especially as somebody who loves programming, surrounded by peers just trying to do the least amount of work to get a C.
    Yeah, those sort of people dropped out of the first year, because it was too difficult for them.

    And universities cater to it- they really just want to get enrollment numbers up so they can get more money. To keep their numbers up, they can't fail people out who deserve it. So the university is happy as long as there are people in the seats, even though the school is rolling out lackluster graduates.
    Probably, I can only go by what I've done. As soon as the bar starts to raise (OO, Inheritance etc...), then you know who's capable and who isn't.

    But I don't know, maybe that's always been the case. Or maybe it's true of all subjects (do art majors complain that the major is becoming lazier?). And I have an admittedly United States-centric viewpoint, so it might be different other places.

    Anyway, I digress. This is a sore subject for me, can you tell?
    Hmm... I think the problems started when you no longer switched on a computer to be greeted by a 'READY.' or 'OK.' prompt, and when relatively sophisticated hardware had its' keyboard removed (Sega Genesis/MegaDrive etc...) As soon as consumer-grade products made this leap, people stopped learning how to program for fun.

    Regards,

    Shaun.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator helloworld922's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 619 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWorkman View Post
    But I don't know, maybe that's always been the case. Or maybe it's true of all subjects (do art majors complain that the major is becoming lazier?). And I have an admittedly United States-centric viewpoint, so it might be different other places.
    In our mechanical engineering department, being lazy is a good thing (but not too lazy, otherwise people start dieing) Complicated designs are more likely to break down and are difficult to build/assemble.

  12. #12
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by helloworld922 View Post
    In our mechanical engineering department, being lazy is a good thing (but not too lazy, otherwise people start dieing) Complicated designs are more likely to break down and are difficult to build/assemble.
    I think there's a difference between smart lazy and dumb lazy. Smart lazy says, "work smarter, not harder". Dumb lazy says, "don't work".
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator helloworld922's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 619 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    True, though mechanical systems are often very different to design from software. Each component usually requires a different area of expertise, so if you can find something on the market for a competitive price, it's usually desirable to just buy it and figure out how to integrate that into your existing design rather than try to design a custom component yourself (a combination of smart lazy and regular lazy).

    I suppose the analogy in software design would be use external libraries correctly (this last word is very important).

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    78
    My Mood
    Confused
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    After reading this conversation I'm trying to determine if I have a future in programming haha.

  15. #15
    Crazy Cat Lady KevinWorkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,298
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 620 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: No Time To Deal With The Assigment

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed View Post
    After reading this conversation I'm trying to determine if I have a future in programming haha.
    Meh, don't let our cynicism discourage you. If you like what you do, and you're willing to learn, your future should be fine.
    Useful links: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way | Use Code Tags | Java Tutorials
    Static Void Games - Play indie games, learn from game tutorials and source code, upload your own games!

Similar Threads

  1. First Time
    By rayoung17 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
  2. First time in forum
    By prasanth1216 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
  3. 1st time using methods
    By gonfreecks in forum What's Wrong With My Code?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
  4. Using time
    By ellias2007 in forum Java Theory & Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 4th, 2010, 08:48 AM
  5. display time
    By kalees in forum JavaServer Pages: JSP & JSTL
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM