jTorChatjTorchat stands for Java Torchat, and is a complete rewrite of the popular p2p IM messenger Torchat.
The underlying protocol of jtorchat is based on python Torchat (torchat - messenger application on top of the Tor network and it's location hidden services - Google Project Hosting).
Accessible to All = Writing it in java allows for easy portability of code between platforms, perhaps even in android phones.
Alive and connected to All = Broadcast feature, and eventually group chat, will provide talkers the ability to interact as a group, or as a public mass.
Transparent to All = All jtorchat will come with the source, thus increasing transparency and thus security.
Features from python Torchat
- Basic Messaging to Torchat users - Done
- Popup Alerts - Done
- Time Stamp - Done
- File transfer - Done
- Minimize to tray - Done
- Taskbar flashes on msg - How the hell do you do it in java, crossplatform?
Features extended beyond python Torchat
- Auto buddy request - done - Helps newcomers find people to talk to
- Interface to existing installed tor via GUI - done
- Broadcast Mode - done - Allows a message to be sent to everyone in the network (no sender spoofing protection tho)
- BuddySync - allows a group to always keep their buddies in sync over tor.
- Group Chat - Not Yet - For secure group communication.
- FileSharing - allows for calling and downloading files off online buddies.
put budReq'd buddies into a different group
move old buddies from the default group to 'Old buddies' group (but not removing them from user set groups)
Linksjtorchat on github: https://github.com/jtorchat/jtorchat
jtorchat on code.google: https://code.google.com/p/jtorchat/
Thanks a lot if you actually help out