Can anybody help me about this!!
I am not sure if I am posting in the right place or not, but anyway the following is my problem.
I am totally confused with understanding the copyrights concept generally, and for published software codes specially. Usually I read tutorials from Java main site or from other sites, too, and they put on their sites pieces of code or a full code to make the reader try it and understand it. but I find sometimes in the very beginning of the code this statements:
* Copyright © 1995 - 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
* are met:
* - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Does this mean that as long as I got the idea of the code from sun Microsystems site, I have to do what they requested? Even if I took just a piece of it in my code, or even if I modified it to suit my interest??
So I really do not understand the range of authority of tutorials' authors, as I thought that they make the free tutorial so that I can read it to get more experience and use it in the way I like.
Does this also mean that all tutorial over the net obligate me to do the same in case of using their published codes?
What is the game rules here?