Warning: Java component download site infected with malware
- A Google search for 'swing sliding panel' gave this as the first result: OutlookBar SlidePaneSwingJava Products
- The page contains links to SyGem Software products
- On clicking a SyGem link, Avira flagged a virus but the computer was infected. I suspect multiple malware and that the infection resulted from a virus/adware that went undetected by Avira
- The symptoms observed are regular popping up of the default browser with advertising pages, and corruption of Windows7 desktop gadgets, with the clock showing as a black square with a second hand pointing straight up
- Downloaded and installed Ad-Aware, which flagged and removed 10 malware objects. During the scan it halted the process zrr.exe several times.
- With guidance from various Microsoft and third party help/support sites I removed the registry folder
(in case that last character doesn't display in your browser, it's the graphic character for the left bottom corner of a box -- looks a lot like L)
- This solved the problem as far as the gadgets are concerned. I'll watch for a few days before I can be sure that all problems are solved
This is being cross posted to other Java forums.
Re: Warning: Java component download site infected with malware
Long time no see. Thanks very much for this warning. I'm sure it will save many people hassle.
For any of you that think you may be infected with Malware, I suggest the free removal tool Malware Bytes - Malwarebytes Download
Even if you don't think your infected, it's worth a scan.